We (the Authority) provide transport for children of statutory school age (5 - 16 years old), living in Denbighshire, who attend:
- infant, primary and junior school, if the child lives further than two miles from their nearest suitable school.
- secondary school, if the child lives further than three miles from their nearest suitable school.
If you do not live in Denbighshire you must apply to your own local authority for school transport.
We may request evidence that the address you submit is the child's permanent home address.
Please note that we do not have a legal responsibility to provide transport for children who are not of statutory school age but we provide transport for learners aged 16 and over who live more than three miles from their nearest suitable school or college, and who are under 19 at the start of the school year (September).
The nearest suitable school is measured by the shortest available walking route, and is considered to be one which:
- provides education for the relevant age of the child
- is the nearest school that meets the language preference (in accordance with our policy on Welsh medium education)
- is the nearest faith school
- is, in the judgement of the Authority, the nearest school that provides a reasonable range of courses suited to the abilities, aptitudes and requirements of the child
We also provide transport for:
- children whose route to school we consider to be hazardous
- children who need transport for medical reasons, and where suitable public transport is not available. These requests must be supported by written medical evidence from the child's doctor
- children to an identified school, if this is essential in the judgement of the Authority, or in the child's statement of special educational needs. This is usually on medical or educational grounds.
You can find out more about our transport policy in the Denbighshire Schools booklet below.
How do I apply for free school transport?
If you live in Denbighshire and would like your child(ren) to be considered for free school transport for the start of the new school year (September), please download and complete the relevant form below.
Transport application forms are also available from schools:
- Available from 1st March in primary schools for pupils moving into Year 7 - return to address on form by 30th April
- Available from 22nd March in schools for pupils moving into Reception or Sixth Form - return to address on form by 30th June
If your transport application relates to a move during the school year, please apply as soon as you as you can, once your new address is confirmed.
If you do not live in Denbighshire, you must apply to your own local authority for school transport.
Do I need to re-apply each year?
No, if the home address and school attended does not change, there is no need to re-apply each year.
When will I know if my application is successful?
We will let you know the outcome of your application within 15 working days of receipt of your form. Details of any allocated transport, pick-up times and locations will be advised to you by Passenger Transport during the school summer holidays for September starts, and as soon as possible for applications mid-school year.
What if my child is not eligible for free school transport?
If a child does not qualify for free school transport, it is sometimes possible to purchase a seat on an existing contract transport route, if the vehicle has spaces. There is a charge for concessionary seats, which is payable every term. Unfortunately it is not possible to divert the route of the vehicle for concessionary (paying) passengers. Concessionary seats may be withdrawn at short notice for various reasons, for example, if the number of eligible pupils increases and the seats become unavailable, or if a vehicle route is changed.
Who do I contact?
- For questions about your application for school transport, or about whether your child is eligible, please contact the school support team on 01824 706109
- For questions about the day to day operation of school transport, please contact the passenger transport team on 01824 706886 or 01824 706879 or 01824 706962.
- To enquire about concessionary seats, please contact the school support team on 01824 706109
- If your child has additional learning needs that you believe make them eligible for school transport, please contact the additional learning needs team on 01824 708168.