Young Person Employment Bursary
This bursary has been set up to help employed people aged 18-35 in Denbighshire who are earning below the county median wage.
The main purpose of the scheme is to help young people secure a better wage by investing in their skills through undertaking training / development or accessing mentoring that will allow them to progress within their current workplace or with a new employer.
Funding of between £250 and £2,000 per person can be awarded.
You can phone 01824 706759 for more information about the Young Person Employment Bursary.
Who can apply?
In order to be eligible to apply you must be:
- Aged 18-35 (at point of application and approval); AND
- Living in Denbighshire; and
- Earning below the County median salary (£24,944); AND
- Currently be in employment (minimum 16 hours)
- Previous successful applicants
- Self Employed
- Those in full time education
- Public Sector workers
How to apply
You can apply for the Young Person Employment Bursary online.
Apply for the Young Person Employment Bursary online
Alternatively, you can download a Young Person Employment Bursary application form to complete.
Young Person Employment Bursary application form (MS Word, 132 KB)
In order to process your application fully, we will need:
- Proof of address – e.g. utility bill OR bank statement
- Confirmation of age - Passport or Driving Licence
- Current salary confirmation - 3 payslips or bank statements showing wages going in
- Evidence of jobs in Denbighshire you could apply for once qualified (3 if possible) or a letter from your employer stating that once qualified how much they will increase your salary to.
- Course quotes (3 if possible) so we can compare prices and we will only pay the cost of the lowest quote but you can chose to go with whichever provider you like but any cost over and above that of the lowest quote will have to be paid for by you
After making an application
Upon receipt of your application a careers advisor will contact you to discuss your application and further evidence may be required to validate your application e.g.
- Confirmation of your home address e.g. Utility bill
- Proof of age e.g. passport, driving licence or birth certificate
- 3 Payslips or Bank Statements showing your current salary (if possible)
- Up to 3 examples of future job opportunities or current positions within Denbighshire
- Training / course details
- Confirmation of required qualifications
Your application will then be assessed in conjunction with feedback from the careers advisor and you will be notified of a decision.
What can the Bursary pay for?
Below is a list of examples of what the bursary can and can’t assist with. This is not an exhaustive list.
- Further education courses
- Professional skills and training e.g. AAT, NVQ, City & Guilds
- Commercial Vehicle Driver Training
- Renewal of Professional Fees/ existing qualifications
- Higher Education Courses
- Standard /Statutory required to undertake existing role
- Associated travel costs or overnight accommodation
- Driving Lessons (Cat A/B/B1)
Please contact us if you wish to check the eligibility of a particular course/qualification.
The bursary is administered by our Economic and Business Development Team and supports the council’s corporate priority of ensuring that the county is a place where younger people want to live and work and have the skills to do so.
Find out more about the young people corporate priority.