Food premises approval

If you run a food business, you may need to apply for approval for your premises.

You will need to apply for approval if you intend to use unprocessed products of animal origin (e.g. fresh meat, raw minced meat, raw milk or eggs) to produce any, or a combination of, the following: 

  • Minced meat
  • Meat preparations 
  • Mechanically separated meat 
  • Meat products 
  • Live bi-valve molluscs (shellfish such as oysters, mussels and scallops) 
  • Fishery products 
  • Raw milk (other than raw cows’ milk) 
  • Dairy products 
  • Eggs (not primary production) 
  • Egg products 
  • Frogs’ legs and snails 
  • Rendered animal fats and greaves 
  • Treated stomachs, bladders and intestines 
  • Gelatine and collagen 
  • Certain cold stores and wholesale markets

You cannot operate your food establishment until it has been approved by us.

As part of the approval process you must put in place procedures to manage food safety. These procedures must be based upon Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) principles.

There are some exemptions from the requirement to be approved. If you are unsure whether you need to apply for approval for your premises, contact us.

How do I apply for approval?

The quickest and easiest way to apply for food premises approval is to apply online.

If you already have food premises approval and your circumstances change, let us know.

How much does it cost?

It does not cost anything to apply for food premises approval.