Taxi driver licence

To become a taxi driver you must:

  • have held a full driving licence for at least 12 months
  • have a good knowledge of the whole of Denbighshire 
  • have a satisfactory motoring record 
  • have no convictions that would deem you unsuitable to transport members of the public

You can get more details from the following documents;

How do I apply?

To apply for a taxi driver’s licence you must complete an application form. The form should be accompanied by:

  • Your DVLA driving licence 
  • A copy of the DVLA record - which can be obtained from - showing the record for 4 years
  • A medical assessment form completed by your doctor 
  • Original documentation proving your identity and address 
  • The application fee 
  • One passport sized photograph 
  • DVLA mandate
  • Identification documents supporting your right to work in UK
  • DBS certificate or Certificate of Good Conduct issued by the relevant non UK country

We recommend that you make an appointment to visit the licensing office so that we can go through the documentation with you. Contact us on 01824 706342 to arrange an appointment.

Alternatively, you can post your paperwork to us at: Licensing Section, Denbighshire County Council, PO Box 62, Ruthin, Denbighshire LL15 9AZ.

Please note that if the UK is not your country of origin, there may be some additional requirements. Please contact us to discuss these before you apply.

Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check

As part of your taxi licence application with Denbighshire County Council, applicants must complete a criminal records Disclosure check via the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) through Online Disclosures, who will administer your application on our behalf.  We are no longer able to use the traditional paper forms, as in previous years.

Please contact us for more information on the process.

All DBS certificates will require updating on a 3 year basis

Find out more about DBS checks.

DVLA mandate

You will need to give written permission for us to contact the DVLA for information about your driving record. We will ask you to sign a form to give your permission. This is called a DVLA mandate.

Find out more about the DVLA mandate.

Medical assessment

You should arrange an appointment with your GP, who will complete the medical assessment form. You must bring the completed form with you when you visit us, or include it with your posted application.

Knowledge test

All drivers, whether hackney carriage or private hire, will have to pass a knowledge test. The test consists of questions covering: local geography, including routes; hackney carriage and private hire conditions; hackney carriage ranks and tariffs; numeracy; customer care skills; the highway code,routine vehicle maintenance and safeguarding awareness.

You can take the test as many times as you need to until you pass. The first attempt is free of charge but there is a fee for subsequent attempts. If you fail the test, you must wait a week before attempting it again.

You must make an appointment to take the test. You can contact us online or call us on 01824 706342 to arrange this.

Granting your licence

When we have received all the necessary paperwork we will contact you with our decision as to whether your licence has been granted or refused.

How long is the licence valid for?

With effect from 1st April 2018 licences will be valid for up to 3 years and will be renewable alongside the DBS cycle.

How much does it cost?

£270 for 3 year licence;

£250 for a NEW 1 year licence (renewal fees for this type of licence vary – please contact us for information)

These fees do not include cost of a DBS check which is payable separately.

How can I pay?

Payment can be made by card over the phone or in person (by appointment) at our Caledfryn offices.  Payment by cheque or cash is only available at one of Denbighshire’s One Stop Shops.  Please contact us for the appropriate reference number before attempting to pay.  Failing to provide the appropriate reference number may delay your application.

Changing your details

If you have a licence, you must let us know about any changes to your circumstances. 

There is no charge to change your details.