Cadwyn Adfywio (Company Ltd by Guarantee / Social Enterprise) bought the former HSBC Bank building in November 2014 with the aim of using the building as a means to contribute towards regeneration of Corwen and surrounding area. The building was in a poor state of repair, and Cadwyn Adfywio sought EU funds to support a phased approach to refurbish the building. The internal aspects of the building have now been refurbished on a phased approach, with the first floor having been let to Cadwyn Clwyd as the main tenant, part of the second floor is available to be let to micro businesses.
In 2016, Haygarth Berry Associates were commissioned by Cadwyn Clwyd / Cadwyn Adfywio to undertake a Community Consultation and Project Specification exercise to consider various options for establishing and running a social enterprise model, mixed use community hub within the former HSBC building.
Centrally located within the town of Corwen and standing on the historic A5 trunk road, the property is a substantial three storey Grade II listed building. This project will release the potential locked up in a redundant building in the centre of Corwen by effecting much needed improvements and ensuring the improved facilities will be a focal point for visitors and the community, which will be accessible and relevant to all.
This final phase of the project will involve:
- the refurbishment of the external aspects of the building
- installation of physical visitor interpretation in the ground floor space.
It is intended that this building could also provide the following community facilities:
- A test trading facility for young entrepreneurs and new rural businesses and a pop-up shop / temporary retail area. This space should also be made available for community groups e.g. Llangollen Railway to promote their offer.
- A space available for community use e.g. meetings, Community art exhibitions by Corwen Arts Network, events which link with the town e.g. Owain Glyndwr day, Corwen Walking Festival in September
- A training, conference and meeting venue which also doubles up as an ICT suite
- Access which is DDA compliant.