Coronavirus: Changes to our services

This page provides information and guidance about changes to our services during coronavirus (COVID-19). 

Please be aware that the Council may take longer to respond to any correspondence or complaints, due to staff shortages and the Council’s response to Coronavirus. Thank you for your understanding.

Our services

Any changes to Council services will be listed here.

Education and schools

You must follow the social distancing measures in place when dropping off or collecting your child.

Any pupils who have been contacted by the school or the Test, Trace and Protect team, and told to self-isolate must continue to do so.

Those advised to self-isolate should book a coronavirus test if they develop any of these symptoms, even if they are mild.

A test can be booked by phoning 119 or online (external website).

Behaviour support

Outreach services are postponed. Outreach teachers will be available via phone and email.

Timian Training and Living with teenagers postponed. Home tuition withdrawn. Online tuition continuing. 

Children and young person's counselling

The Counselling Service (DIYPCS) is currently providing counselling face to face in schools following health and safety guidelines and continue to offer an online service. New referrals are welcome.

Education Psychology Service

The Educational Psychology Service continues to offer a service to schools throughout this lockdown period. The Educational Psychology Service will continue to offer planned consultations to schools remotely, and will be available by telephone and email for advice and support during this period.

Education in Welsh

All ‘off site’ activities, away from the individual school site have been cancelled. All ‘off site’ training and group support INSET has been cancelled until further notice.

Healthy schools

We are continuing to work with schools by offering meetings and training online. Assessments can continue online.


TRAC will be continuing to deliver to young people and vulnerable learners during this period so service will not be impacted.

Back to top

Bins and recycling

Visiting our waste and recycling parks during covid-19

You'll need to book an appointment before visiting a waste and recycling park.

Find out how to book a space at a waste and recycling park

Bulky item collections

We will still be operating a bulky item collection service.

Some bulky item collections may take up to 21 days.

Garden waste collections

Garden waste collections will continue for people with a garden waste collections subscription.

Kerbside textile collections (Co-options)

The fortnightly kerbside collection of textile bags issued by local charity Co-options has been suspended until further notice. 

It is not possible at this time to sort the textiles safely and the employees operating this service will be remaining at home in line with government guidance as it is not considered critical at this time.

Co-options textile banks should not be used at this time as this is NOT a legitimate reason to leave your home.

Please try to keep good quality clothing to one side so it can be collected once restrictions are lifted.

This service usually operates in north and central Denbighshire.

Back to top

Childcare and parenting

Emergency childcare

Activity ideas for pre-school children

Our Flying Start, Early Education, Family Link Workers and the Pre-School Additional Learning Needs teams have produced some activity ideas to keep your pre-school children busy during this difficult time. Activities will be updated every two weeks and are available on our Denbighshire Early Years Facebook page (external website). We are here to help. 

Back to top

Council tax

We understand many people will be financially impacted by COVID-19. If you are struggling to pay your council tax please contact us online. We are currently receiving high call volumes and recommend using our online applications where possible.

If your income has reduced, you may be entitled to claim Council Tax Reduction.

Back to top

Libraries and archives


Welcome back to your local Library and One Stop Shop

You can now visit your local library to browse, choose, collect and return your books without an appointment during the current opening times.

You will need to make an appointment to use a computer and print, to use a study space, and to access One Stop Shop services so that we can make sure there’s enough room to keep everyone safe. Please phone your local library to make an appointment. Computer sessions are currently limited to 1 hour. You will need your library card number to book a computer session.

If you require help at the One Stop Shop with a Council query or to make a payment, please call the library and ensure you have all the relevant details, so that we can deal with your query, and arrange an appointment if you need to come in.

Libraries are a safe place to visit with plenty of room for social distancing, limited numbers of people in at any time, and hand and equipment sanitiser available.

Our popular Order and Collect service will continue if you would prefer us to choose the books for you to collect or have delivered to you. Our Home Library Service is making deliveries of books to anyone who is unable to visit their local library – please get in touch to find out more about this service.

Please return your library books. All the books you have on loan are being automatically renewed and you won’t be fined – but we’d like to have them back so that we can restock our shelves! Please drop them off at the library.

Remember that you can join the library, order books and download e-books, e-audiobooks, magazines and newspapers free – please click on the Library catalogue button below.

Library catalogue

North East Wales Archives

For more information, please the visit the North East Wales Archives website (external website)

Back to top

Births, marriages and deaths

Marriage, Civil Partnership or other Discretionary Ceremonies


  • For Register Office ceremonies, only your 2 witnesses are able to attend, with no other guests
  • Ceremonies being held at a Denbighshire licenced room can proceed with limited numbers
    • Ystafell Glan Y Mor / Glan Y Mor Room: Room capacity 14
    • Ystafell Bro Famau / Bro Famau Room: Room capacity 19
  • Ceremonies at licenced venues that fall within 'hospitality' category cannot proceed.
  • Please be advised that all our advice may be subject to change without notice

Notice of marriage / civil partnership appointments are available on a case by case basis and priority will be given by ceremony date.

Anyone who has already made a booking may contact Denbighshire Registration Service by emailing:

Registration of Births

Birth registration appointments are available now, strictly by appointment only. Please call 01824 708100 to make an appointment.

Copy certificates

Copy certificates can only be ordered over the telephone by calling 01824 708100.

Registering a death

Death registration appointments will only be completed over the phone. Please call 01824 708100 to make an appointment.

Back to top

Countryside and heritage

Countryside services

Coronavirus (COVID-19): Current restrictions

Current restrictions (Welsh Government website)

Work to ensure safety as stay local guidance lifted

Denbighshire County Council and the Clwydian Range and Dee Valley AONB have put plans in place to ensure countryside sites remain safe as travel restrictions ease.

These include improvements to the car parks at Moel Famau and the upgrading of paths at Loggerheads and works at Horseshoe Falls to improve access.

It is important visitors know what restrictions and guidelines are in place before travelling and to keep themselves and others safe they should avoid busy times, check ahead to see if facilities are open and where possible access quieter sites and walks during the initial period of re-opening. This will help avoid busy periods and parking issues.

Nantclwyd Y Dre

Nantclwyd y Dre is now open.

Plas Newydd

The house at Plas Newydd, Llangollen is now open

The grounds and garden remain open. Our tea rooms are open every day from 10am until 4pm.

Ruthin Gaol

Ruthin Gaol closed indoors

Please note that due to extensive flood damage we are sorry to announce that Ruthin Gaol will remain closed indoors for the rest of 2021.

However, from Wednesday 2 June 2021, we will be holding free outdoor tours of the prison buildings and exercise yards, plus our Shop will be open.

Tours will take place at 11am and 2pm on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, from Wednesday 2 June.

Back to top


Letter to all social housing tenants in Wales

The Minister for Housing and Local Government has written a letter to all social housing tenants in Wales providing an update on coronavirus.

View the letter to all social housing tenants in Wales on coronavirus (external website).

Council housing maintenance

As a precaution, only emergency and/or urgent repairs will be attended to. Please could you only contact us during office hours on 01824 706000 or on 0300 123 30 68 out of hours if it is an emergency. Report a council housing repair online and we will respond to your enquiry as soon as we can.

Back to top

Health and social care

Community Support Services

Cefndy Enterprises remains open producing medical aids.

Day and Work Opportunities have closed during the current lockdown and will remain closed until a review can be undertaken when restrictions are lifted.

Dolwen Day Care remains closed.


Social care training

Denbighshire social care training courses

We are currently continuing to work on delivering our learning via virtual sessions and e-learning. However, given the current situation we will not be delivering any face to face courses until at least the end of February. If you would like any information about our courses, or would like to receive a copy of our workforce newsletter, then please contact us on or telephone 01824 706610. Thank you for your patience during this difficult time.

Social Care Wales: information and resources to guide you through Covid-19 (external website)

Vulnerable people

The Council is aware that Welsh Government has written to vulnerable people across the UK, advising them of precautions they should take and to contact their local authority if they are worried or have support needs.

The Council is putting arrangements in place to deal with these calls.  If people decide to call the Council’s Customer Service Centre, details will be taken and passed on to a team who will call them back to discuss their needs.

Where support is needed from the community, the team will be able to share details of what’s on offer in the local area and help people to make arrangements if necessary.

Where support is not available, details will be shared with Denbighshire Voluntary Services Council (DVSC) who will try to use volunteers to help meet needs in the community.

Coronavirus (COVID-19): Vulnerable people

Back to top

Community and living

Community resources

Resources and information for Denbighshire communities, including the Covid-19 Emergency Relief Grants Pack.

Coronavirus: Community resources

Public toilets

Public conveniences in Denbighshire will be available at their usual times from Wednesday 17 March.

Back to top

Leisure and tourism

Youth clubs and centres

The county youth clubs and centres have been closed to the public and staff.  The service will continue to offer support and virtual youth engagement opportunities in order to keep on touch with young people at this challenging time. Youth workers will be offering advice, activity, guidance and interaction – through virtual youth work and social media formats.

Once the guidance changes to enable groups to meet, centres, clubs and educational visits will resume.

How to contact Youth Services

Parks and playgrounds

Following Welsh Government guidance, we've re-opened parks and children’s play areas. Sites include the Botanical Gardens and Coronation Playing Fields in Rhyl, Riverside Park in Llangollen, Cae Ddol, Ruthin, and outdoor play areas across the county.

Signs will be placed at sites to remind people to maintain social distancing whilst using facilities.

Back to top

Environmental health

Food safety

If you are a new or existing food premises offering food delivery or take away/delivery service for the first time, due to the current covid-19 situation, the Council would like to hear from you.

It is essential that you assess the risk associated with this type of food service, to ensure you keep your customers safe in relation to allergens, food safety and social distancing.  We can advise you on these matters.  Please contact the Food Team on 01824 706405 or

Back to top

Council offices

Caledfryn (Denbigh) and Russell House (Rhyl) are closed to the public. People are encouraged to visit our website for any information.

Entry to Ruthin One Stop Shop is by appointment only. Please call 01824 706000 if you wish to make an appointment regarding:

  • scanning documents
  • parking permits
  • ordering trade waste sacks

If you have any concerns about the welfare of a resident, please contact the Single Point of Access (SPOA) on 0300 456 1000.  For Out of Hours emergencies, please call 0345 053 3116 for Social Services, or 0300 123 3068 for all other services.

Back to top

Parking, roads and travel

Blue badges

If you need help over the phone to complete an online application please contact your local Library and One Stop Shop.

Long stay and beach car park permits

We are now processing applications for long stay and beach parking permits via our online form. You can also apply in person at a One Stop Shop, by post or phone to renew a permit.

Public transport

Public transport will be operating in Denbighshire for essential travel only. Passengers are kindly reminded to continue wearing face masks if they need to travel.

See our webpage for emergency bus timetables.

Street cleaning

All sweeping works will stop and priority will be given to cleaning of town centre areas and main routes. Litter picking and fly tipping requests will need to be assessed individually and work will only be carried out only if resources are available and deemed necessary.

Gully cleansing

Gully cleansing works are to be suspended and will revert to emergency (responsive) cover only. This is being done in order to free up staff to cover Highways and Cemeteries.

Grass cutting

All grass cutting works to cease as soon as possible.  The existing workforce will be redeployed with the main focus being on Highways reactive works and Street Cleansing. Priority initially will be for GM operatives to assist in Highways functions, where the demand is mostly at present.

Back to top


Numerous residents have been in touch, asking how they should make any payments to the Council. Payments can be made online or by the automated phone line: 0300 456 2499 for:
  • Council tax
  • business rates
  • housing rent
  • housing benefit overpayment
  • parking fines
  • general invoices

Where customers have a housing rent or council tax payment card, or a bill with a barcode payments can be made (via card, cash or cheque) at a Post Office, Paypoint or direct at the Natwest Bank. Customers are asked to have the correct reference numbers for their payment when using these payment options. 

Back to top


Covid-19 and the Planning application process

Fleet Service Centre

The Council’s fleet service centre in Bodelwyddan is now closed to non-council vehicles and customers.

Back to top

Footpath closures

The Welsh Government has introduced emergency regulations, Health Protection (Coronavirus restrictions) (Wales) Regulations 2020, that require local authorities to close footpaths and other rights of way where use poses a high risk to the spread of coronavirus.

Health Protection (Coronavirus restrictions) (Wales) Regulations 2020

Any person ignoring the closure of a path or place under these regulations may be asked or forced to leave and may be subject to a Fixed Penalty Notice of £60 with that charge doubling for a repeat offence.

List of closures of public access paths and sites in Denbighshire: 

No paths are currently closed in Denbighshire under powers provided by the Welsh Government's Corona Virus Regulations.

This will remain under review and may change if areas are identified where groups of people are congregating and actively ignoring measures set out by the Government.

We ask that all members of the public follow the requirements for appropriate numbers of no more than one or two in a family party maintaining social distancing minimum space of 2 meters and utilise their local routes rather then travel to the countryside unnecessarily. Many footpaths and bridleways cross private land, working farms and in some cases are close to private homes. Please keep to the paths, keep your distance from landowners and continue to follow the restrictions and measures which are in place to protect you and others.

Back to top