Schools Competition: Postcards from the Future
Children who attend a Denbighshire County Council school can take part in our Postcards from the Future competition to win:
- the chance to read their postcard to Elected Members of Denbighshire County Council
- a talk from our Biodiversity Team at your school
- a collection of plug plants to help create or improve a wildflower area at your school
- a selection of environmental books for your school
How to enter
Imagine you can send a message back through time to create a better future...
It is 2050 and you are sending a postcard back to 2022. We want you to imagine what you would say to your younger self or a relative for them to take action now and change their behaviour for the good of our environment.
Write your postcard message and draw a picture of 2050 as you imagine it. You can do this on a computer or by hand and use our template if needed. Send it to us by:
- email to email@example.com
- post to 'Postcards from the Future’ Schools Competition, Denbighshire County Council, PO Box 62, Ruthin, LL15 9AZ
- delivering it to one of our libraries
When writing your message and drawing your picture for this competition, think about:
- what has been done over the years up to 2050 to help the environment and reduce climate change?
- how has new technology made life easier for people living in 2050 and has still been kind to the environment?
- what animals have survived and how do they live?
- what is the weather like in 2050?
The rules for this competition are:
- entries must come from children aged 5yrs old to 16 yrs old who attend a Denbighshire County Council School.
- there are 4 entry categories KS1 (Years 1 and 2), KS2 (Years 3 to 6), KS3 (Years 7 to 9) and KS4 (Years 10 and 11)
- entries must be received by the closing date of Friday 11th November 2022.
- entrants can write their message in Welsh or English. Entries in Welsh will not be treated less favourably than those in English.
- only one entry per child (either individually or within a group).
- entries will be shortlisted by a panel of experts and the winners chosen by The Zero Carbon Britain Team at The Centre for Alternative Technology, Machynlleth.
- the winning pupils will be notified via their school on or before Monday 12th December 2022.
- the winning entries will be read in front of a full council meeting by the lead member or councillor who represents their ward.
- the winner’s school will receive a talk from the council’s biodiversity team and plug plants to help create or improve wildflower area.
- the winner's school will receive a selection of environmental books.
- for practical reasons, it should be noted that entries, once submitted, cannot be returned.
- entries must be marked clearly with Name, Age, Class and School. We are unable to include entries without this information.