Time off can be requested for planned or unplanned reasons, such as illness, business, family or personal matters, to go on holiday or public service obligations. It is the line manager who must judge each request on its circumstances and merits.
Guidance for Headteachers
The School Teachers Pay and Conditions Document (STPCD) provides a model leave of absence scheme to assist Headteachers and Governing Bodies of Schools in making decisions about requests for leave in accordance with legal, contractual and moral obligations.
The guidance applies to:
- all employees of the school, including the Headteacher;
- staff who are centrally employed by the local authority(LA) and who are subject to Teachers Terms and Conditions Document (STPCD)
- staff employed in units or bases that are attached to aschool
- peripatetic staff who are centrally employed by the LA on the STPCD
The guidance does not apply to:
- staff employed by DCC Catering or Contract Services
- employees of external contractors and providers ofservices.
Sickness and attendance
Maternity leave and pay for teachers
All pregnant teachers are entitled to 52 weeks maternity leave. Find out about maternity leave and pay in the Maternity policy for teachers
Leave of absence without pay
You will need to complete an application form to request leave of absence without pay.
Download a leave of absence without pay application form