Child and family benefits

Below is a list of the child and family benefits available which are paid by central government. There are links to, central governments website, where you can find out how to apply and more details. 

Universal Credit

Universal Credit will replace:

  • Housing Benefit
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Income Support

Check if you're eligible for Universal Credit

Apply for Universal Credit (you can only apply for Universal Credit online)

Child benefits

This is a tax-free payment that you can claim for your child which is usually paid every four weeks, but sometimes it can be paid weekly. There are separate rates payable for each child. Child benefits can be claimed by anyone who qualifies, whatever their income or savings, but can only be paid to one person.
Find out more about child benefits

Visit the council tax discount page to see if a reduction can be awarded where child benefits are in payment to a person over 18 years old. 

Maternity, paternity and adoption leave

If you are on leave from work due to maternity, paternity or adoption leave, depending on your usual working hours and length of time you are off, you may still be entitled to working tax credits. These are managed and paid by central government.
More about maternity, paternity and adoption leave 

Sure Start Maternity Grant

The Sure Start Maternity Grant is a one-off payment of £500 to help towards the costs of having a child. You don’t have to pay it back but you must claim the grant within 11 weeks of expecting the baby or within 3 months after the birth.
Find out more about the sure start maternity grant