Death and bereavement

You may be entitled to help with financial matters when someone passes away. 

Help with Funeral costs

If you need help to pay for a funeral you're arranging, and you're on a low income, you may be able to get a Funeral Payment from the Social Fund. This will depend on the benefits you're getting, your relationship with the person who passed away and any other money, other than your personal savings that may be available to help with the cost of the funeral.
Find out more about funeral payments 

Bereavement Allowance

Bereavement allowance is a taxable weekly benefit that can be paid to you for up to 52 weeks from the date of death of your husband, wife or civil partner.
Find out more about bereavement allowance 

Bereavement Payment

You may be able to get a one-off tax-free bereavement payment of £2,000 if your husband, wife or civil partner has died.
More on bereavement payments 

Survivors Guaranteed Income Payment

A graduated Survivors Guaranteed Income Payment (SGIP), payable for life, is payable to spouses, civil partners and surviving adult dependants. The payment is based on the serviceperson’s age at death and their salary.
For more information phone the Veterans Helpline on 0800 169 2277 

Widowed Parent’s Allowance

Widowed Parent's Allowance (WPA) is a weekly benefit that can be paid to widows, widowers, or surviving civil partners who have a dependent child or who are expecting their late husband's or civil partner's baby.
Find out more about WPA