Employment and out of work

Below is a list of benefits that you may be entitled to while employed or looking for work, as well as information on what to do when faced with redundancy. You'll also find links to GOV.UK so that you can find out how to apply and further information. 

Universal Credit

Universal Credit will replace:

  • Housing Benefit
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Income Support

Check if you're eligible for Universal Credit

Apply for Universal Credit (you can only apply for Universal Credit online)

Check which benefits you may be entitled to and how to claim using an independent benefits calculator

Jobseekers Allowance

Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) can be awarded if you are over 18 years old and actively looking for work because you are unemployed or working less than 16 hours per week.
Find out more about JSA 

Employment and Support Allowance

Employment and Support Allowance, also known as ESA, provides financial help to people who are unable to work because of an illness or disability. ESA also provides personalised support, so that you can do appropriate work, if you are able to.
Find out more about ESA

Statutory Sick Pay

This can be paid if you are employed but are unable to attend work because you are sick. You must have been sick for at least four days and earn on average at least £86.70 a week.
Find out more about Statutory Sick Pay

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit, also referred to as IIDB, is for people who have an illness or disablement caused by work.
Find out more about IIDB

Income Support

If you are on a low income, you may be eligible for Income Support which is extra money based on your circumstances.
Find out more about Income Support 

Working Tax Credit

You may be entitled to working tax credit based on the hours you work and get paid for, or expect to be paid for. You can claim if you're employed or self-employed, but unpaid work doesn't count when claiming tax credits.
Find out more about working tax credit 


Redundancy can be a worrying time, but there is support available to help you. If you are an employee who has worked for your employer continuously for two years, then you may have the right to a statutory redundancy payment. It is your employer’s responsibility to treat you fairly and follow the correct process if they are considering making redundancies. They should think about any alternatives to making you redundant.
More about your rights when facing redundancy