The Welsh Government have provided funding for a small capital grants scheme for childcare providers in Denbighshire.
All settings registered with Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW) who are offering Childcare Offer for Wales places for 3 and 4 year olds or, who intend to offer places are eligible to apply. This includes;
- private and voluntary sector providers, and maintained settings offering day care
- wrap around care
- holiday play schemes
- out of school childcare clubs
Applications can also be considered from childcare providers who are in the process of applying for registration with CIW and the Childcare Offer.
What can be funded?
Grant funding can be awarded to settings to enable them to improve the quality of the facilities or to increase the number of places they are able to offer.
|Childminders and those registered for 8 or fewer
||Up to £5,000
|Childcare providers registered for 9 to 15 places
||Up to £7,500
|Childcare providers registered for 16+ places
||Up to £10,000
Funding can be offered for various capital works that may be needed such as:
- General refurbishment, including painting, replacing carpets, etc.;
- Improving the outdoor play facilities of a setting, such as replacing the outdoor play surface or providing a canopy;
- Replacing / repairing fixtures and fittings such as toilets, kitchen facilities, windows, doors, etc.;
- Replacing worn equipment / furniture / toys which could potentially pose a health and safety risk. So for example a rusted outdoor climbing frame, broken or badly worn furniture, which could cause splinters; or a well-used and tatty changing table, which can no longer be hygienically cleaned;
- IT equipment provided it can be clearly shown that there is a need in order to deliver Childcare Offer places, this could include laptops, printers, etc.;
- Adaptations to the setting to improve access, etc.; and
- The provision of bespoke equipment / furniture which will enable a provider to accommodate a child with additional learning needs.
- Purchasing equipment which will enable the setting to accommodate 3 and 4 year olds; and
- Towards the purchase of a minibus which would be used to transport children between the childcare and education elements of the Offer. Leasing costs are not eligible for funding and neither are running costs such as insurance, petrol, servicing, etc.
The grant funding is for capital purchases only, essentially something that has a resale value or improves the value of the property. It cannot be used to fund:
- The purchase of consumables, such as paper, cleaning materials, nappies, etc
- Staff costs such as wages, training, travel and subsistence;
- Utility bills such as gas, electric, rates;
- The provision of WiFi;
- Insurance costs e.g. building insurance, employer’s liability insurance, etc.
If you are not sure if an item is eligible for funding, please contact the Family Information Serviceby emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or phoning 01745 815891.
How to apply
Providers can apply by completing an application form and returning it by the deadline for the next Childcare Offer Small Grants panel date.
Download the Small Capital Grant Scheme application form
You can get advice on completing the application form and further details including the terms and conditions in the guidance pack.
Application deadlines and panel dates
|Application deadline dates
||Childcare Offer Small Grants panel dates
Future dates for deadlines for applications and panel meetings will be updated when arranged.
We will consider applications eligible for the scheme every half term.
More information for providers
View frequently asked questions for providers on the Welsh Government website.