Housing needs of Gypsies and Travellers

The Housing Act Wales (2014) requires that all local authorities in Wales must identify the Housing needs of Gypsies and Travellers in its area and make provision for any needs identified.

Welsh Government approved the Denbighshire Gypsy and Traveller Accommodation Assessment (GTAA) in March 2017, which identified that there is a need for 6 residential pitches on a permanent site and 4-5 transit pitches (short-stay).

View the Gypsy and Traveller Accommodation Assessment

Denbighshire County Council has formed a project team to work on delivering this project.  The project plan sets out the following next steps:

  • Review all Local Authority owned land and undertake a public Call for Land in order to identify best possible locations - The Call for Land started on 13th September and closed on 8th November 2017;
  • Undertake appraisal of land considering locations against planning criteria and Welsh Government guidance on designing Gypsy and Traveller sites;
  • Cabinet decision on preferred locations;
  • Site investigations and concept design;
  • Undertake pre-planning consultation;
  • Submit an application for planning permission.

Who pays for it?

The law says that Local Authorities have a duty to deliver these sites.  However, over the next few years there is funding available from Welsh Government to pay for the development of the sites.  Rent from the residents would cover the on-going costs once the sites are built.

What are the timescales?

It is difficult to know exactly how long this project will take to complete as there are a number of steps to complete before the sites would be ready to accept residents.

The next step is to undertake pre-planning consultation on each proposed site before the submission of formal planning applications can be progressed. Dates of the consultation will be advertised on this website and through the media and social media in the coming weeks.

It is likely that the earliest either development would be ready to accept residents would be towards the end of 2019.

How can I have find out more/have my say?

  • Pre-planning consultation will take place in October/November. You can access all relevant documents and plans and have your say on the two proposals through the County Conversation page via this link during this period.
  • All interested parties will also have the opportunity to raise planning concerns through the statutory consultation process as part of any planning application

We will keep these web pages up to date and add further information and dates as they are agreed.

More information about the Gypsy and Traveller culture and lifestyle and the reasons why these sites are important can be found here:

Gypsy and traveller Myth Buster