Support for the armed forces

D DAY 75

6 June 2019 marks the 75th anniversary of The D-Day Landings – one of the most remarkable Allied wartime operations.

The Royal British Legion is working with the UK Government and other stakeholders to plan significant commemorations to mark D-Day 75, both in Normandy and across the United Kingdom.

We’re excited to announce that The Royal British Legion, in partnership with Arena Travel, have chartered a ship, the MV Boudicca, to provide a fully funded tour for 300 D-Day Veterans. Each veteran is able to bring one carer who will also be fully funded.

Priority will be given to veterans who participated in the D-Day Landings, with the remaining spaces allocated to Normandy Veterans via a ballot.

To apply for a place on the MV Boudicca, please see the link below. The closing date is Monday 4th February 2019.

British Legion - D DAY 75

If you or a member of your family is currently serving, or has served, in the armed forces, we can help you to get the support and advice you may need.

Along with some other community organisations, we have formally signed a community covenant with the armed services, veterans and their families.  This is an agreement that sets out how we and our partner organisations can support the armed forces community working and living in Denbighshire.

You can download the covenant here .

The Covenant has been encouraging support for the Armed Forces Community working and residing in Denbighshire and this report highlights the activities of the Armed Forces Community Covenant Partnership since the Community Covenant was signed in July 2013.

Click on the headings below for information on how we can help.


Welsh Government

The Welsh Government package of support for the armed forces community sets out Welsh Government's plans and policies, and provides information on public services for the armed forces community. 

Find out more here.

Denbighshire Voluntary Services Council (DVSC)

DVSC supports the voluntary sector and volunteers in Denbighshire, and can help with:

  • providing low cost training for volunteers and employees
  • funding advice and information
  • recruitment and placement of volunteers
  • advice and information to help you run or establish a new voluntary or community group
  • supporting volunteers to help them get more involved in their communities
  • social enterprise and business development

For more information, visit the DVSC website or email DVSC at

Grants for community organisations

Under the Community Covenant Grant Scheme, there are grants available for community organisations in Denbighshire.  

Find out more about the scheme and how to apply here.

Education and training

You can study a wide range of courses at colleges and community venues across Denbighshire.  You can learn new skills to get ahead at work or change career, or you can learn for fun. Find out more here.

Staff in our education department can give you specialist advice on the educational needs of armed forces families.  They can help you with finding a school and applying for a school place, and give you advice on any grants or funding you may be entitled to.  You can get more information in the education section or by contacting us.


There are several organisations that can help you into employment.

Careers Wales

Careers Wales can provide information on jobs, training and education to help you to plan your career.  Find out more on the Careers Wales website.

Jobcentre Plus

Jobcentre Plus can give you advice on benefits and ways of getting into work, including training, work experience, volunteering, job trialling and starting your own business.  You can also get information here on how to combine work with other responsibilities like caring or looking after children, and help to find work if you have a disability.  

Find out more here.  

You can find your nearest Jobcentre Plus office here.


SORTED! is an organisation made up of seven charities, which provides employment-related support to the forces community, including spouses, partners and dependants.  If you are actively seeking employment, SORTED! will make sure you get the right information, advice and guidance to make the process easier and more effective.  

Get more information on the SORTED! website.

North Wales Police

Find out about employment opportunities with North Wales Police in the recruitment section of their website.

You can also get advice in the jobs and career advice section.

You can get advice and support for your housing needs, including council housing, housing associations, home adaptations and help with mortgage debt or rent arrears, in the housing section.
Health and wellbeing

NHS Wales

Denbighshire is covered by Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board, which provides primary, community, mental health and acute hospital services.  You can get more information about how the NHS may be able to help you on the NHS Wales website.


Mind is a mental health charity that provides advice and support for anyone with a mental health problem.  Find out more on the Vale of Clwyd Mind website.

Combat Stress

Combat Stress is a veterans' mental health charity, that works with veterans of the British armed forces and members of the reserve forces to provide effective treatment and support for mental health problems, including depression, phobias, anxiety, post traumatic stress disorder and more.  Find out more on the Combat Stress website

You can also get information and advice in the health and social care section.


Serving members of the Armed Forces and the Territorial Army are entitled to a discount on using leisure centres in Denbighshire.  For a discounted set fee, you can use fitness suites and pay on a month by month non-committal contract. You will need to provide a payslip, a forces ID card or written proof of employment to claim your discount.  

Find out more about leisure facilities in the leisure section

Armed Forces Free Swimming Scheme

If you have a Defence Privilege Card or you are serving personnel on leave with an MOD90 Armed Forces Card, you can use our swimming pools during public swim times for free. There are swimming pools at the following leisure centres;

  • Corwen leisure centre
  • Denbigh leisure centre
  • Prestatyn Nova
  • Rhyl leisure centre
  • Ruthin leisure centre

Defence Privilege Card

You can apply for the Defence Privilege Card, which will give you discounts online and on the high street.  The card is available to serving members of the armed forces, their families, and veterans.  

Find out more about how to get a Defence Discount Card.

General advice and support

Citizen's Advice Bureau (CAB)

CAB provides free, independent, confidential and impartial advice to everyone on their rights and responsibilities.  They value diversity, promote equality and challenge discrimination.  The CAB self-help website has practical, reliable information to help you solve your problems.  You can also get local information on the CAB website.

The British Legion

The British Legion provides care, advice and support to serving members of the armed forces, veterans of all ages and their families.  Find out more on the British Legion website.


SSAFA provides lifelong support for forces and their families.  They provide practical, emotional and financial support to anyone who is serving or has ever served and their families.  Get more information on the SSAFA website.

Change Step and Listen In

Change Step is a peer mentoring and advice service for military veterans who  want to make positive changes to their lives. Delivered by veterans for veterans,  Change Step supports people seeking help for problems encountered as a result  of military or operational duty - and offers training opportunities and signposting to relevant health and welfare services. Contact us for more information

Listen in provides emotional and practical help for veterans' families and loved  ones, giving essential support to those coping with very difficult circumstances.  Find out more about the to services on the Change Step website.

Veterans badges and medals

Veterans badge

You can get an armed forces veterans badge if you’ve served in any of the UK armed forces - there’s no fee.

Get more information and find out how to apply for a veterans badge


You can apply for a medal if you served in the armed forces and are eligible.

Get more information and find out how to apply for a medal

Replacing a badge or medal

Replacing a veterans badge is usually free. There is sometimes a fee to get a replacement medal - it depends how it was lost. 

Get more information and find out how to replace a badge or medal

UK merchant seafarers veterans badge

You can apply for a UK merchant seafarers veterans badge if you were a Merchant Navy seafarer or fisherman or served in a vessel used to support the UK Armed Forces.

Get more information and find out how to apply for a UK merchant seafarers veterans badge