Our Community Safety Partnership can provide free Home Security Assessments and a selection of target hardening equipment, such as locks and bolts. Male and Female Fitters provide an efficient and speedy service. For more details please contact STARS on 01745 360006 or email@example.com
Home Security is the best way to reduce your chances of being burgled. A lot of burglaries are spur of the moment, as a burglar may see an open window or other easy point of entry and take their chance.
When you go out, always close and lock the external doors and windows - even if you are just going out for a short time.
Older people may feel more vulnerable to some crimes, but are actually less likely to become victims. A few simple steps can also help reduce your risk of crime.
- Have a list of useful numbers by your telephone. These may include the number of your family, local police station, local council etc.
- Don’t keep large sums of cash at home - use a Bank/ Building Society account instead.
Doorstop crime and rogue traders
Most people who call at your home will be genuine, but sometimes someone may turn up unannounced, with the intention of tricking their way into your home. If someone calls on you;
- STOP Are you expecting anybody?
- Do they have an appointment?
- CHAIN Secure the door bar or chain before opening the door.
- CHECK Ask for and double-check the caller’s I.D.
- If you have any doubts keep them out.
Visit our Doorstop crime and rogue traders page for more advice.
You can read our safety hand book for more information or find a member of your nearest neighbourhood watch or local policing team.
Find your nearest neighbourhood watch
Find out about your local policing team