Free school transport

School transport notice

D Jones & Son, the bus company, has informed us that they will cease trading after last operation on Saturday December 16th, 2017.

This affects school and public transport in the Llangollen area. The County Council has made arrangements to cover the school bus from the Chirk & Froncysyllte area to Ysgol Dinas Brân on and from Monday December 18th until the end of term with alternative operator E Jones & Son.

Bus services will continue to operate between Llangollen and Wrexham on service 5 (Arriva) and service Traws Cymru T3 (Lloyd’s Coaches).

Pupils who catch buses from the Wrexham direction who normally use D Jones service 5/5C are warned that there may be insufficient seats at school times to and from Ysgol Dinas Brân. Arriva services continue to operate every 40 minutes.

We provide transport for children aged 4 – 16 , living in Denbighshire, who attend: 

  • junior and primary school, if the child lives further than two miles from their nearest suitable school
  • secondary school, if the child lives further than three miles from their nearest suitable school

We also provide transport for learners aged 16 and over who live more than three miles from their nearest suitable school or college, and who are under 19 at the start of the school year (September).

The nearest suitable school is the nearest school to the child’s home that: 

  • provides education for the relevant age of a pupil 
  • is the nearest school to meet the language preference 
  • is the nearest faith school 
  • in our judgement, is the nearest school which provides a reasonable range of courses suitable to the abilities, aptitudes and requirements of the child

We also provide transport for: 

  • pupils whose route to school is considered to be hazardous. We periodically review hazardous routes, and if we find that a route is not hazardous, we will give one school term's notice that eligibility for transport will come to an end. View hazardous routes
  • pupils who need transport for medical reasons, and where there is no suitable public transport available 
  • pupils whose statement of additional learning needs states that transport to an identified school is essential – this is usually on medical or educational grounds
We do not have primary feeder schools for secondary schools. Welsh medium education is provided through both category 1 and category 2 schools.  We will provide free school transport to your nearest Welsh medium school, if all other eligibility criteria are met.
Please note that we normally only provide transport to the nearest suitable school to your home address.   If you have secured a place at a school that is not your nearest suitable school, you will need to make your own transport arrangements.

How do I apply for free school transport?

You can apply for transport any time from when your child has a confirmed school place. You cannot apply for free school transport until you receive an offer of a school place. Applications received before an offer is made will not be considered. Find out how to apply for a school place.

You must apply to the local authority for where you live.  For example, if you have secured a school place in Denbighshire and you live in Flintshire, you must apply to Flintshire County Council.

Apply online for free school transport 

Alternatively, you can print and complete the relevant form below, and return it to the address on the form. 

If you move house, you will need to re-apply for free school transport.  This is because your eligibility depends on the distance between your home and your school.  If you move to a new home, we will need to check your eligibility again.

If you are applying for transport after moving house during the school year, please apply as soon as you can after your new address is confirmed.

As long as your home address and the school attended do not change, there is no need to re-apply for school transport every year.

Finding your nearest suitable secondary school

You can find out what your nearest suitable secondary school is by using our online maps service.

  • Enter your postcode in the box marked 'search for a location' to find your address.  If you do not see your address, click on 'show more results' at the bottom of the dropdown box.
  • Click on the 'My Property' tab and scroll to the bottom of the screen to see your nearest secondary schools in the 'Education' section.
  • To see this information on a map, click on the 'My Maps' tab, and click on 'show map categories' and then 'Education' on the left.
  • Click on the school type you are looking for (e.g. nearest Welsh medium secondary school).  You will then see a coloured area on the map.  Each school is represented by a different colour, and key on the left shows which school is represented by each colour.
  • Click on your property (indicated by the marker) to see a box with details of your nearest school.
  • If you select all three categories of secondary school (i.e. nearest Welsh medium, nearest English medium and nearest faith secondary school), and then click on your property, the box will display your nearest secondary schools in each of these three categories.

What happens next?

We will let you know if your application for school transport has been successful within 15 working days of receiving your application form. If you are successful, you will receive details of pick-up times and locations during the summer holidays for September starts, and as soon as possible for applications mid-school year.

What if my child is not eligible for free school transport?

If a child does not qualify for free school transport, it is sometimes possible to purchase a seat on an existing contract transport route, if the vehicle has spaces. There is a charge for concessionary seats, which is payable every term. Unfortunately it is not possible to divert the route of the vehicle for concessionary (paying) passengers. Concessionary seats may be withdrawn at short notice for various reasons, for example, if the number of eligible pupils increases and the seats become unavailable, or if a vehicle route is changed.

Denbighshire schools information guide