Housing options

For some people when it’s not possible to stay living safely at home, there may be other options.

Click a heading below for more information.

Extra care housing

Extra care housing gives you a balance between living at home and having on-site, dedicated care available if you need it.

You live in a self-contained property, not in a residential home, and you have your own front door, so you can decide who comes in. This means that you keep your independence.

There is also a dedicated care team on-site. If you have had a care needs assessment, you can get care and support from the on-site team. The type and amount of care you receive will change as your needs change over time.

Some more benefits of extra care housing are:

  • couples and friends can stay together
  • you keep your independence 
  • you can join in social activities 
  • you have control over your finances 
  • you have security and peace of mind
  • you have a home for life

There are three extra care housing schemes in Denbighshire:

Gorwel Newydd, Rhyl
Nant y Môr, Prestatyn
Llys Awelon, Ruthin

If you would like to discuss extra care housing options, please contact our Single Point of Access Team, or contact the housing schemes directly using the links above.

The allocation process in Extra Care Housing can be found here.

Digital Stories - Everard's Story

Everard and his wife moved into Extra Care Housing following his wife's deteriorating health.

Older people's accommodation

Older people's accommodation is a type of accommodation for people over the age of 55 who need extra support or for people under 55 who have a disability.

Older people's accommodation can help you to live independently, and bring you into a community. Support is also available through the Supporting People Team to help develop or maintain skills and confidence necessary to live as independently as possible.

All our properties:

  • Provide your own front door;
  • Are well heated;
  • Have reasonable rents;
  • Are safe and secure;
  • Are designed for easy access;
  • Are low maintenance.

Anyone over the age of 55 can apply for older people's accommodation, although we also consider applications from people younger than 55 who have a disability.

How to apply

Please contact us to apply for older people's accommodation:

When we consider your application, we will take into account your personal circumstances, medical conditions, housing circumstances and the help you need to live independently.

See also:

Care homes in your area

Care homes provide comfortable accommodation with trained staff on hand to look after your needs day and night when you are no longer able to do so at home with support from friends, family or other networks. 

The Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales provide a useful resource for care home information. You can search for care homes according to your needs, for example, by location or whether you require nursing care. You will be expected to contribute to the cost of your care.

List of care homes in Denbighshire

Get tips and advice on choosing a care home.

Information and advice on living well in a care home.

If you would like more information or advice, you can visit a Talking Point or contact the Single Point of Access.