Advice and information for families

If you or your family are struggling with some difficult problems, there are lots of things you can do to overcome those difficulties.

Click on the headings below for advice on what you can do to deal with each of these issues.

If you are having difficulties with several of these issues, there are ways in which we may be able to help you, before the situation reaches crisis point. You can contact the Children & Families support Gateway for information, advice and assistance by telephone on 01824 712200 or using an online form to request a call back.

Activities for children and families
There are lots of activities for children and families going on around Denbighshire, all year round.  Click on the links below for more information.

Bookstart Rhymetime and Amser Twf
Parent and toddler groups
Play areas
Sports clubs and facilities

The Oaktree Centre in Rhyl provides soft play, parent and toddler groups, holiday play schemes, activities for children with additional needs, and more.
Being a carer
Caring for someone can be demanding and isolating, which is why it is so important to get support from other carers or from organisations.  Find out how you can get help and support. 

If you are under 18 and you look after a family member due to a long term illness, we can help you to get advice, information and support.  Find out how we can help young carers.

If you are an unpaid carer, you may be entitled to some financial help.  Find out what is available and how to apply.
There are several different types of childcare available, whether you need childcare for all or part of the day, or just during the school holidays.  Find out about the different kinds of childcare, and see what's available in your area.

You may also be entitled to some financial help with the cost of childcare.
Drugs and alcohol
Drug misuse is when someone regularly takes one or more drugs, including alcohol, to change their mood, emotions or state of consciousness.  One of the biggest risks of drug misuse is that you can develop a drug addiction.

Find out about how we can help if you or someone in your family is dealing with drug or alcohol problems.

There are also several organisations that can give you advice and support. Click on the links below to find out more:

Alcoholics Anonymous
Talk to Frank
Domestic violence
There are lots of organisations that can help if you or someone in your family is experiencing domestic abuse or sexual violence.

Find out what help is available.
Education and learning
Adult learning
You can study a wide range of courses in the community.  Studying can help you to get a qualification, learn new skills to get ahead at work, or to learn something new for fun.

Find out more about adult learning.

Attendance at school
You have a legal responsibility to make sure your child goes to school.  If you think there may be a reason why your child may not want to go to school, you should speak to your child's class teacher for help and support.

Difficulties at school
There are many reasons why a child may have problems at school, such as emotional or social difficulties, communication difficulties, behavioural problems, hearing or visual impairments, or bulliyng.  If you are concerned about your child, speak to their class teacher for advice on what to do.  You can get advice on how to deal with bullying here.

Find out what support we can provide if your child is having difficulties at school.

Financial help
You may be entitled to some financial help while your child is at school, such as free school meals, or a school uniform grant.

Find out what support is available, whether you are eligible, and how to apply.
Health issues
Find your nearest GP, dentist, optician or pharmacy

Mental health
Mental health is about the way you think and feel, and your ability to deal with ups and downs.  It is just as important as physical health.  Your mental health doesn't always stay the same, it changes as your circumstances change, and as you move through different stages of your life.  Find out how we can help you if you or someone in your family is having mental health difficulties.

You can also get advice and support from the Mental Health Foundation and the Vale of Clwyd Mind Association.

There are lots of ways we can support you if you or someone in your family has a disability.  This includes short breaks for adults and for children, adapting your home to make it easier to get around, and helping you to claim any financial help you are entitled to.

Find out how we can help if you have a disability.
Living in temporary accommodation, or in a property that is poor quality or not big enough for your family, can make life very difficult.  There are lots of ways we can help with this.

Council housing
Find out if you are eligible for a council house, and how to apply.

Affordable housing
If you are finding it difficult to buy or rent accommodation, there are several affordable home ownership and rental schemes that could help.  

Find out about affordable housing schemes.

Private rentals
If you rent your house from a private landlord, you should expect the house to meet certain standards.  Our role is to make sure that your home is safe, comfortable and fit to live in.

Find out what standards you should expect and what to do if your house doesn't meet them.

Adapting or improving your home
If someone in your family is elderly or has a disability, you may be able to get help to adapt your home so that it's easier to get around. 

You may also be entitled to financial help with the cost of repairing your home, or making it more energy efficient. 

Get information on the grants available to adapt or improve your home.
Jobs and employment
There are lots of organisations that offer support and advice to help to get you back into work, or to develop your career.

Get advice on jobs and careers.

Working for the council
Look at our current vacancies and find out about the rewards and benefits of working for us.
Money problems
Money saving tips and advice
Get information on financial matters, and tips on ways you can save money.

The Government's Money Advice Service provides free, impartial advice on managing your money, including budget planning, debt advice, coping with unexpected bills and more.

If you are struggling with debt, the Citizen's Advice Bureau can give you impartial advice for free.

Welfare rights advice
Find out what benefits you may be entitled to, and how to apply.
Parental rights and responsibilities
All mothers and most fathers have legal rights and responsibilities as a parent.  This is known as parental responsibility.  If you have parental responsibility, you must provide a home for the child, and protect and maintain the child.

A mother automatically has parental responsibility for her child from birth.  The father has parental responsibility if he is married to the mother, and / or if he is named on the child's birth certificate.  If you don't automatically have parental responsibility, you can apply for it.

Find out more about parental responsibility.
Parenting advice
There are lots of organisations that can help if your child's behaviour is challenging, or if you would like some advice on parenting.  Click on the links below for details of how these organisations can support you:

Home Start
Family Lives (formerly Parentline Plus)
Pregnancy and having a baby
Your pregnancy
NHS Wales provides information about all aspects of your pregnancy, including how to stay healthy while you're pregnant, your baby's development, labour and giving birth.  They also have advice on how to adjust after the baby is born, and what help is available if you're finding things difficult. 

Maternity and paternity rights
When you take time off work to have a baby, you might be entitled to statutory maternity leave, statutory maternity pay, paid time off for antenatal care, and extra help for the government.  Find out what you're entitled to on the website.