Universal Credit for Landlords

Universal Credit is managed by the Department for Work and Pensions and is replacing six benefits including Housing Benefits. It will have a housing element that is paid to the tenant who is responsible for paying their own rent, or in some cases, it can be paid directly to the landlord.

What you need to know as a landlord

Applying for Universal Credit is only available online. Information on checking eligibility and making an application is available at www.denbighshire.gov.uk/universal-credit

Some tenants being moved onto Universal Credit will not be used to managing their own rent payments. Tenants may need help with:

  • Rent payments
  • Bank accounts
  • Direct debits
  • Monthly payments

Help and advice is available from money advice service.

More information about Universal Credit for landlords from the Department of Work and Pensions

Payments to landlords

The housing element of Universal Credit can be paid directly to the landlord in some circumstances.

Apply for a direct payment of rent

You can apply for a direct payment of rent, or rent arrears deduction if you're a landlord.

Find out how to apply for a direct payment of rent on gov.uk

Get more information in the Personal Budgeting Support and Alternative Payment Arrangements guidance.

Supporting your tenant

You can visit or direct your tenants to www.denbighshire.gov.uk/universal-credit to find out about the support available for Universal Credit.