Denbighshire Bookstart aims to give every baby the opportunity to develop an early love of sharing books and reading, and to become members of their local library by:
- giving each baby a free gift of a bilingual Bookstart bag
- offering advice to parents and carers on the benefits of giving books to babies
- encouraging library membership
- running rhymetimes in libraries and children’s centres
- providing training and advice to early years and childcare workers
- working in partnership with other early years agencies
Libraries love babies and toddlers, and young children will be given a great welcome. Children under 5 don’t have to pay fines if books are returned late or charges for damaged books. We also know that children can be noisy at times - that's no problem!
There are regular Bookstart Rhymetimes in most libraries in Denbighshire. These sessions aim to make books fun for babies and children, by using songs, rhymes and movement. They're free and all children under 4 and their parents and carers are welcome to come along and join in.
Denbighshire Bookstart is part-funded by the Flying Start programme.