Apply for a dropped kerb

If you want to drive a vehicle over a pavement or verge to get access to a driveway or parking space, then you will need a dropped kerb.

How do I apply for a dropped kerb?

The first step in the process is to contact us to see if the site is appropriate.  

An engineer will often need to visit the site to see if it would be appropriate to install a dropped kerb.  It is not always suitable, for example because of traffic management or road safety reasons.  

Apply online for a dropped kerb

Depending on where you live, you may also need planning permission - we can advise you on this.

What happens next?

If the site is suitable, then you can continue with your application.  

We will send you a guidance pack, which includes all the information you will need to make a full application.  When you have submitted this and it has been approved, you can proceed with the works.

You will need to pay an application fee of £145.

When you are ready to have the work carried out, you must use a contractor approved by the council.  This is because there is a legal requirement for anyone working in the highway to be accredited under the New Roads and Streetworks Act 1991.  We will send you a list of approved contractors who can carry out the work as part of the guidance pack.