The Denbighshire labour market profile gives an overview of the labour market in Denbighshire. It brings together information from several different sources.
The following information about Denbighshire is correct as of November 2014:
- Economic activity: 77.2% of people aged 16-64 are economically active. This compares to 75% in Wales and 77.5% in Great Britain.
- Gender difference: 81.7% of men and 71.8% of women are economically active. This gender difference is also present in the figures for Wales and Great Britain.
- Self-employment: The level of self-employment is 13% in Denbighshire. This compares to 9.1% in Wales and 9.9% in Great Britain. Higher levels of self-employment are common in rural areas.
- Out of work benefits: 14.1% of people aged 16-64 are claiming key out of work benefits. This compares to 13.5% in Wales and 10.6% in Great Britain. 2.4% of the 16-64 year old population are claiming Job Seeker's Allowance. This compares to 2.7% in Wales and 2.2% in Great Britain.
The Office for National Statistics collate this information. You can see more information on the Denbighshire labour market profile on the NOMIS website.
There are big differences between different parts of Denbighshire for each of these measures. The rate of claimants of Jobseekers allowance (JSA) is higher in the following areas than in Denbighshire as a whole:
- Rhyl West: 10.9%
- Rhyl South West: 4.5%
- Rhyl East: 4.3%
- Denbigh Upper and Henllan: 4.5%
Those areas with a high JSA claimant rate also tend to have high unemployment, high numbers of people claiming out of work benefits, and lower levels of economic activity.
You can compare the statistics for different local areas in Denbighshire on the Infobase Cymru website.
Like many other areas, Denbighshire's business base suffered during the recent economic downturn. The latest figures on the number of new businesses created every year are from 2012.
280 new businesses were created per annum in Denbighshire in 2012. This was below the pre-recession level of 355 new businesses per annum.
Aggregate turnover from businesses in Denbighshire was recorded at £2,100m in 2013. This compares to £2,995m before the recession.
You can find more detailed statistics on businesses in Denbighshire on the StatsWales website.