Health and safety for businesses - First aid
If a person at work suffers an injury, it is important that they receive immediate attention, first aid at work covers the arrangements you must take to make sure this happens.
What do I need?
At the very least, you should have a suitably stocked first aid kit and appoint a person to take charge during a first aid incident as well as making sure the first aid kit is stocked appropriately.
First aid kit
Where there is no specific risk in a workplace, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) would suggest the following items for a first aid kit;
- A guidance leaflet
- 20 Individually wrapped sterile adhesive dressings
- two sterile eye pads
- four individually wrapped triangular bandages
- six safety pins
- six medium sized individually wrapped sterile unmedicated wound dressings
- two large sized individually wrapped sterile unmedicated wound dressings
- one pair of disposable gloves
First aid leaflets
You can download first aid leaflets offering advice on first aid in the workplace from the HSE website (external website).