Help with childcare costs

There is a wide range of financial support available to help you with the cost of childcare. 

Free nursery places

All three and four year olds are entitled to 10 hours of free nursery education per week, for 38 weeks of the year. This applies until they reach compulsory school age (the term following their fifth birthday). Please contact the school or nursery of your choice to discuss a placement.

Help from your employer

If you're a working parent, you can take up to 13 weeks parental leave for each child until their fifth birthday (you get more than this if you have a disabled child). Your employer doesn't have to pay you when you take this leave, but they might as part of your employment package. 

Flexible working is when you ask your employer for a new working pattern so you can care for your child. You have a right to request a flexible working pattern if you've got a child aged under six or a disabled child under 18. Your employer has to consider your request seriously. 

Your employer may provide you with childcare vouchers that you can use to pay for childcare. You can choose which childcare provider to use, but they must be registered with the Care Inspectorate for Wales. The vouchers are worth up to £55 per week or £243 per month.

Speak to your employer if you would like any of this support.

Help for children with a disability

If your child or a child you are responsible for has a disability, you could get direct payments from us to help with the cost of their care, holiday club, leisure centre or travel costs. Contact us to talk about your needs.

The Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is the main benefit paid for disabled children. It is made up of two parts: the care component, for children who need extra attention or supervision, and the mobility component, for children who need help getting around. Depending on their circumstances your child may qualify for one or both parts. 'Contact a family' (external website) can help you claim DLA.