Gypsies and Travellers: advice for landowners

It is the landowner's responsibility to take action when there is an encampment on private or 3rd party land. 

We can only take action against encampments on council land.

What to do if Gypsies or Travellers come to your land

The first thing to do is to talk to them to make it clear that this is actually your land. Ask why they are there, and how long they are hoping to stay. Assess if they are causing a disturbance. If the encampment has spread onto a right of way or highway, you should contact Denbighshire County Council. It is a good idea to inform your solicitor of the situation and to ask about likely legal costs.

What if the Gypsies or Travellers won't talk to me?

Most Gypsy and Traveller families welcome the opportunity to speak to other members of the community but if you feel negotiations are not going well, seek advice from your solicitor.

If there aren't any problems, is it ok to let them stay?

Yes, but long-term occupation will require planning permission from us. If a landowner is in breach of any planning or license requirements, then we will take proceedings against the landowner that require removal of the unauthorised encampment.

Reclaiming possession of your land

Your solicitor will most likely advise that possession be sought in the civil courts under Part 55 of the Civil Procedure Rules. This will involve:

  • asking trespassers to leave (landowner's responsibility)
  • issuing and serving a court summons
  • seeking a possession order in court
  • serving the possession order, and, if necessary executing a warrant for possession with county court bailiffs

Usually, once an order is served, Gypsies and Travellers will vacate independently. You can engage private bailiffs to remove unauthorised occupiers without a possession order in some cases.

When proceedings are undertaken in the county court under the Civil Procedure Rules 1998 to obtain a court order for eviction, there must be a minimum of two clear days between service of documents and the court hearing.

What will this cost?

Your solicitor will charge their own fees, so check costs first. Disposing of rubbish will be at your own cost but we can offer you a quote for the work if you prefer.

What can the police do?

The Police may visit sites reported to them but trespass is a civil offence and not a criminal offence. Prevention of trespass and the removal of trespassers are the responsibilities of the landowner and not the police.

The Police carefully assesses each incident of unauthorised camping and, under Welsh Government guidelines act proportionately.

The Police have powers to move Gypsies or Travellers off land where criminal activity by them can be established.

The Police also have discretionary powers to direct Gypsies and Travellers off land where group behaviour goes against the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994. In certain circumstances (for example, where the Gypsies or Travellers have with them six or more vehicles), officers may use powers under Section 61 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994. These powers will only be used in situations of serious criminality or public disorder not capable of being addressed by normal criminal legislation and in which the trespassory occupation of the land is a relevant factor. The Police are bound by the Human Rights Act and may be constrained to avoid using Section 61 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 in circumstances where it would preclude welfare considerations from being applied by the civil courts.