If your child attends a school in Denbighshire and you receive a qualifying benefit, you may be entitled to a grant towards the cost of:
- School uniform
- School sports kit
- Sports outside of school
- Uniforms for wider activities e.g. scouts and guides
- Equipment for activities to support the curriculum, e.g. design and technology
- Equipment for out of school hours trips, including outdoor learning
- Duke of Edinburgh
- Computers, laptops and tablets
What is available?
Parents who receive a qualifying benefit can get a grant of £125 if their children are in reception or year 1 to 11 (except year 7).
If your child is in year 7 and you receive a qualifying benefit, you may be entitled to a grant of £200.
Looked After Children
A grant can also be provided for a looked after child attending any school year without the parent, guardian or carer receiving a qualifying benefit.
You will only qualify for a School Essentials Grant if you receive at least one of the following:
- income support
- income based job seekers allowance
- income related employment and support allowance
- child tax credit (but not working tax credit) with an annual income below £16,190 (April 2011)
- pension credit (guaranteed credit)
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Universal Credit and your yearly net earnings must be no more than £7,400.
You cannot receive a School Essentials Grant if you are in receipt of Working Tax Credit.
How to apply for a School Essentials Grant
You can only apply for a School Essentials Grant from the local authority of where your child goes to school.
If your child goes to a school in Denbighshire, you can apply online for a grant.
If you are eligible for the School Essentials Grant, your child will also be eligible for free school meals.
When applying, you’ll use the same application to claim both the School Essentials Grant and free school meals.
Apply online for a School Essentials Grant (for a child going to a Denbighshire school)
Looked after Children
Apply online for a School Essentials Grant for a looked after child
Information from other Local Authorities
Some schools have a policy to provide help towards school uniform costs for pupils in year 8 and above, please contact your child’s school to find out if they can help.