Free school meals

Chat to an adviser online. Monday to Thursday: 9am to 5pm. Friday: 9am to 4:30pm.

Lunch is provided at all schools in Denbighshire. In primary schools, all meals have a fixed price. Secondary schools serve lunches on a cafeteria basis, with different prices for different meals.

You can claim free school meals for your child if you receive any of the following:

  • Income Support
  • Job Seekers Allowance; Income Based 
  • Employment and Support Allowance; Income Related 
  • Pension Credit; Guaranteed Credit 
  • Child tax credit (but not working tax credit) with an annual income below £16,190
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • Universal Credit - From the 1st of April 2019, to qualify for free school meals through receiving Universal Credit, your yearly net earnings must be no more than £7,400.

Find out more about tax free and taxable benefits (external website).

Foster children are not eligible for free school meals. This is because foster parents already receive an allowance for looking after the child.

How to claim free school meals

You can only apply for free school meals from the local authority of where your child goes to school.

If your child goes to a school in Denbighshire, you can apply online for free school meals.

If you currently receive free school meals from being in receipt of Universal credit, Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance Income Based, Employment and Support Allowance; Income Related or Guaranteed Pension Credit, you will continue receive them until December 2023. 

If you are eligible for the school uniform and equipment grant as well as free school meals, you can use the same online application form to apply for both. 

Apply online for free school meals (for a child going to a Denbighshire school)

Changing schools

Please let us know if your child leaves or changes school.

Please complete a free school meals application form to let us know if your child has moved school in Denbighshire or contact us to cancel free school meals. 

Information from other Local Authorities