Ruthin Gaol are the winners of a 2016, 2017 and 2018 Visit Wales Hidden Gem award.
Ruthin Gaol closed indoors
Please note that due to extensive flood damage we are sorry to announce that Ruthin Gaol will remain closed indoors for the rest of 2021.
However, from Wednesday 2 June 2021, we will be holding free outdoor tours of the prison buildings and exercise yards, plus our Shop will be open.
Tours will take place at 11am and 2pm on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, from Wednesday 2 June.
- Booking is not required but numbers are limited to 30 people each tour and will be compliant with Government Covid restrictions
- Weather permitting (on poor weather days please check before you travel)
- All ages are welcome, the tour is flat and wheelchair / pushchair accessible with parking nearby in public car parks
- No toilets are open on site but nearby public toilets are available
General enquiries: 01824 708281 (April to September)
Group bookings and special occasions: 01824 708218
About Ruthin Gaol
Ruthin gaol is the only purpose-built Pentonville style prison open to the public as a heritage attraction. People can spend time exploring its nooks and crannies and learn about life in the Victorian prison system. See how the prisoners lived their daily lives: what they ate, how they worked, and the punishments they suffered. Explore the cells including the punishment, 'dark' and condemned cell. Find out about the Welsh Houdini and William Hughes who was the last man to be hanged there.
Hiring this venue
You can hire Ruthin Gaol for events, parties and meetings. You will need to arrange your own catering and can use our kitchen area and fridge. This venue has space for up to 60 guests.
- During public visiting times: £25 per hour
- Outside of public visiting times: £25 per hour plus a one-off fee of £45
Exclusive hire of the sites are available, prices start from £1500, to discuss hiring this venue, please call 01824 708218.
Skip embedded map