Caravan and campsite licences

If you allow your land to be used as a camping site by the public for more than 42 days consecutively or for 60 days in a year , you will need a licence.

There are a few exceptions to this:

  • A single caravan sited for not more than two consecutive nights for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months. 
  • Up to three caravans on a site of five acres or more, for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months. Sites occupied by exempted organisations such as the Caravan Club. 
  • Sites of up to 5 caravans certified by an exempt organisation and which are for members only. 
  • Sites for temporary and special purposes such as caravan rallies, agricultural and forestry workers, building and engineering sites and travelling salesmen. A site for tents only can be used for maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.

How do I register?

You must have planning permission for the land used for siting caravans before you can apply for a licence. Find out more about planning permission.

To apply for a caravan and campsite licence, please complete an application form and return it to the address on the form.

Caravan and campsite licence application form (PDF, 67KB)

You must enclose a copy of your planning permission, and a site plan at 1:500 scale showing the layout of roads, caravans and facilities

How much does it cost?

There is no cost for a caravan and campsite licence.