Explosives and fireworks

You need to apply for a licence if you intend to store explosives. This includes fireworks, flares and marine safety devices, small arms ammunition, fuses, ammunition primers and desensitised explosives.


The storing of any explosives is controlled by the Explosives Regulations 2014 and require any person storing explosives to hold a licence. We are responsible for licensing people who store up to 2000kg of explosives at a premises within Denbighshire.

If you want to store more than 2 tonnes (net weight) of explosives, you will need to apply to the Health and Safety Executive (external website) for a licence.

You must contact North Wales Police (external website) if you intend to store the following;

  • ammunition
  • smokeless powder or percussion caps
  • explosives stored by a person who is registered as a firearms dealer under section 33 of the Firearms Act 1968


You can get information on whether or not you need a licence to store or sell fireworks from the Health and Safety Executive website (external website).

Sale of fireworks

  • Fireworks must not be hawked, sold or exposed for sale upon a street or a public place and must not be sold to any child under the age of 18 years.
  • The name and address and safety instructions on any firework when received from the factory must not be removed, obliterated or altered before sale.
  • Only fireworks which comply with BS7114 may be sold.
  • It is an offence for someone under 18 to possess fireworks in a public place

The Explosive Regulations 2014 permit the sale of Fireworks during the following periods only:

  • November 5 - (from 15th October to 10 November)
  • New Year - (from December 26th to 31st)
  • Chinese New Year - (on the first day of the Chinese New Year and the 3 days immediately preceding it)
  • Diwali - (on the day of Diwali and the 3 days immediately preceding it)

How do I apply?

To apply for a licence to store explosives or fireworks, complete an application form and return it to the address on the form, along with the appropriate fee.

Application for a licence to store explosives or fireworks (MS Word, 76KB)

All registrations are renewable on 1st September each year. You can renew your licence or registration completing a new application form.

If you are already registered, or have a licence to store explosives, and your circumstances change, let us know.

How much does it cost?

View the fees for explosives and fireworks licences (external website) 

Risk assessment

A risk assessment of the premises has to be conducted and if there are more than 5 employees it must be a written assessment.

Fireworks in shops: Retailers' risk assessment checklist (PDF, 843KB)

More information

It is an offence to:

  • keep explosives on unregistered premises
  • to exceed the permitted quantities for storage
  • to contravene the methods of storage
  • to sell fireworks to any child under the age of 18
  • to sell fireworks at times of year not covered by your licence

If an offence is committed a court may impose a penalty of £5000, or more in some cases, and may order the explosives in question to be forfeited.

Heavy penalties may also be imposed for other offences.

The occupier of any registered premises must show to any authorised officer, on request, all explosives on the premises.

You can contact us for more information.