Challenge a parking fine

How to challenge a penalty charge notice (parking fine)

You can make an informal challenge to a parking PCN within 14 days of the date of issue. You must put your challenge in writing, either online or in a letter to:

Wales Penalty Processing Partnership
PO BOX 273
LL18 9EJ

When you write to us, state your case clearly and simply. If you have any evidence, such as receipts or witness statements, include copies of these as well. It's best if you send us copies and keep the originals yourself.

We will write to you within 28 days of receiving your challenge. If we accept your challenge, the PCN will be cancelled and you will not have to pay. If we reject your challenge, you will have to pay the PCN within 28 days from the date on the letter from us. If you pay within the first 14 days you will be able to get the 50% discount.

You cannot make an informal challenge if you have already received a Notice to Owner (NtO).

Have you received a Notice to Owner (NtO)?

If you don’t pay your fine or make an informal challenge within 28 days of the date on the PCN, we will send a Notice to Owner (NtO) to the registered keeper of the vehicle.

At this stage you can make a formal challenge by writing to the address above, citing one of the reasons listed in the grounds on which a challenge can be made.

Accepted reasons for a formal challenge to a parking fine (PCN):

  • The alleged parking contravention did not happen
  • The penalty charge exceeded the relevant amount (currently £50 or £70 depending on the level of the contravention)
  • The traffic order was invalid
  • I was not the owner / keeper of the vehicle at the time when the contravention happened
  • The vehicle was stolen or taken without my consent
  • We are a hire firm, and can provide the name of the person who had hired the vehicle at the time the contravention happened
  • There has been a procedural impropriety by the enforcement authority
  • I have already paid the fine, either in full or at the appropriate discount

Your challenge will be investigated and we will write to you within 10 working days.

Want to appeal?

If we reject your formal appeal and you still want to dispute the PCN, you can appeal to the independent Traffic Penalty Tribunal. We will give you details of how to do this in the rejection letter we send you.

Contact us online.