Public rights of way register  

We must keep a register of all applications to modify the definitive map, under the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000. 

Countryside And Rights Of Way Act 2000 (PDF, 149KB)

There are three types of modification:

  • deleting a public right of way from the definitive map
  • adding a new public right of way to the definitive map
  • changing the status of a public right of way (e.g. changing from a public footpath to a bridleway)

You can search for rights of way registration applications here:

Search the register

Register items
Reference Effect of application Location Grid reference and district Details