Information for parents and professionals about the DIYPCS

The Counselling Service gives children and young people the opportunity to talk to an independent counsellor about any social and emotional issues they may have, in a safe and accessible way.

Coronavirus update

The Counselling Service (DIYPCS) is currently providing counselling face to face in schools following health and safety guidelines and continue to offer an online service. New referrals are welcome.

For the latest information about our services and advice please visit


If a child is in crisis and needs immediate support, please contact:

  • 999 for emergency help
  • The Samaritans – Call 08457 909090
  • Childline (up to 25 years) – Call 0800 1111

Who can access counselling?

Any child or young person aged between 11 and 18 (Year 6 to Year 13) who lives or goes to school in Denbighshire, can access counselling. We also welcome referrals from professionals and parents for primary aged children to be considered for  counselling, if it is felt that counselling would be of benefit to them.

Who can refer a child or young person for counselling?

A child or young person can access counselling either by being referred by a parent or a professional, or by self-referral – referring themselves.

A parent or a professional can refer a young person for counselling online. It’s important to remember that counselling should always be voluntary, and the child or young person must be want to be supported in this way.

Find out how to refer someone for our counselling service.

If a child or young person makes a self-referral, this doesn't mean that the adults around them are failing them. Sometimes talking to someone neutral and professionally trained can help find a solution to a problem. Referrals will always be dealt with confidentially.

Consent for counselling 

Children of primary school age, must have the consent of a parent, guardian or carer in order to be referred to us. 

A young person over the age of 16 does not need the consent of a parent / guardian for counselling. A child or young person under the age of 16 who we deem to be ‘Gillick competent’ has the right to access counselling without the consent of their parent, guardian or carer. However the support of a parent or carer is always hugely welcomed.

Find out about who needs consent and how to provide it.


All our counsellors are fully qualified and have qualified status with British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (BACP). Our service as a whole is accredited to work with children and young people by the BACP and our individual counsellors have a great deal of experience in working with children and young people. Counsellors access regular clinical supervision and are qualified by Association of Counsellors and Therapists Online (ACTO).

More information

Find out information about DIYPCS counselling sessions.

You can contact us if you have any questions about the Denbighshire Independent Young Persons' Counselling Service.