Support for people who are blind or visually impaired

We provide support for people who are blind or visually impaired.

Eye tests

If you are having trouble with your vision (and haven’t attended a hospital eye clinic) you should contact your local optician for an up-to-date eye test. Your local Optician and/or Eye Clinic can refer you directly to us if needed. 

Low Vision Assessment

If you have had an up-to-date eye test but you still find it hard to read and see things clearly, you may be entitled to a Low Vision Assessment.

There are a number of Low Vision Practitioners in the Denbighshire area who can help you make the most of your sight by providing you with specialist visual aids and equipment such as magnifiers and lamps free of charge.

Visit to search for a Low Vision Practitioner (external website)

Support we provide

We provide a wide range of support to people with sensory loss including:

How to get our support

We have different teams that provide support for adults, children and young people.

Support for adults

For support with sensory loss for adults (people aged over 18 years old), please contact SPoA. 

Call us on 0300 4561000 during the times below:

  • Monday: 8:15am to 5:45pm
  • Tuesday: 8:15am to 5:45pm
  • Wednesday: 8:15am to 2pm and 3pm to 5:45pm
  • Thursday: 8:15am to 5:45pm
  • Friday: 8:15am to 5:45pm
  • Saturday: 10am to 4pm
  • Sunday: 10am to 4pm
  • Bank holidays (except Christmas Day and Easter Sunday): 10am to 4pm

If you need to speak to a duty social worker in an emergency outside of these hours, you can phone 0345 053 3116 (calls to this number cost you 2 pence per minute plus your phone company’s access charge).

Contact SPoA online

Support for children and young people up to 18 years old

To get support with sensory loss for children and young people up to 18 years old, please contact Families First

Sensory loss equipment

There is specialist equipment available to help people with sensory loss to remain independent. Some of the equipment may be provided as part of your specialist assessment or rehabilitation training.

We also have a Sensory Resource Room with equipment on display and information and advice on where to purchase specialist items. Visits to the Resource Room are by appointment only. 

Find out how to get our support

Rehabilitation for people with a vision loss

Our specialist staff are qualified to provide support and advice so that you can maintain and develop your independence for everyday living.

Support and advice

Our staff can work with you to teach you the skills you need to help you become more confident and independent with:

  • reading
  • writing
  • telling the time
  • preparing your meals
  • making a cup of tea
  • crossing the road safely
  • using technology
  • low vision aids
  • lighting
  • colour contrast
  • independent living skills training
  • communication skills training
  • mobility training

Find out how to get our support

Support with the emotional impact of sensory loss

Sensory loss affects people in different ways and we aim to work with you to help you adjust to any emotional changes you may be experiencing. 

Find out how to get our support