Denbighshire County Council will seek to avoid redundancies where possible. Where it is unavoidable, the council will deal with the issue in a fair and equitable manner.
Our redundancy policy applies to all employees of Denbighshire County Council with the exception of:
- Employees appointed by School Governing Body;
- Directors and Heads of Service (separate National procedures shall be applied)
Measures to avoid compulsory redundancy
We will take all reasonable steps to avoid compulsory redundancies by considering alternatives; for example:
- Seeking applications for early retirement or voluntary redundancy;
- Seeking applications from existing employees to work flexibly;
- Laying off casual or contract employees (this does not include fixed term employees);
- Restrictions on recruitment;
- Reduction or banning of overtime;
- Filling vacancies from existing or at risk employees;
- Retraining and redeployment to other parts of the council
The council will consider all reasonable alternatives put forward by employees or their representatives.
Redundancy policy (PDF, 834KB)