The Electric Taxi Scheme gives licensed taxi drivers in Denbighshire the chance to trial a fully electric car for 30 days and view the financial and environmental benefits of zero-emission vehicles.
What's involved in the scheme?
The scheme involves:
- Use of a fully electric Kia EV6 Air
- free electric charging
- free vehicle licensing
- free breakdown cover
Before, during and on completion of the trial, drivers will be asked to complete evaluation surveys, and be provided with further information on schemes and assistance available for long term ownership of zero-emission vehicles.
You will need to pay a £250 deposit which will be fully refunded if and when the vehicle is returned in a satisfactory condition. The vehicle will be thoroughly inspected before it is signed out and once again when it is signed in.
Refunding a deposit may take up to 10 working days.
Who can take part?
The pilot scheme is mostly targeted at locations with lower air quality in the north of the county, but there are charging points proposed throughout Denbighshire and taxi drivers based anywhere in the county can take part.
The scheme is only be available to those drivers that have participated previously.
To take part in the scheme you must:
- hold a full clean UK issued driving licence
- be aged between 25 and 65 years of age
- have held their hackney licence for a minimum of 1 year
- sign an agreement stating that you will contribute £250 towards the excess on the policy should any accident/incident occur
- be willing to undertake a minimum 30-minute driver assessment and training course
- have participated in the scheme previously for the complete 30 days without serious incident or excessive speeding infractions
How to take part?
You can apply online to take part in the scheme.
Apply online to take part in the Electric Taxi Scheme
What happens after applying?
- The driver and taxi licence details will be checked
- Fleet Mobility Officer will contact the participant to confirm if they have been successful and discuss potential dates to take part
- If successful, the rental agreement along with supporting information will be issued to the participant to sign and return along with any supporting information or documents required
- The participant pays the £250 deposit and collects the trial vehicle at an agreed time and date
The Welsh Government has set a target of de-carbonising the Taxi Fleet by 2028. Green Taxi pilots will help in achieving this target as it will help taxi drivers realise the financial and environmental benefits of zero-emission vehicles, which will hopefully contribute to the transition from diesel and petrol vehicles to Zero Emission Vehicles (ZEVs).
What is the battery range of the vehicle?
The vehicle manufacturer (Kia) quotes a battery range of 328 miles, this will be subject to several variations including but not limited to:
- Throttle Control
- Road surface
- Season (heaters/lights/demisters)
Can I extend the trial?
The trial agreement is for 30 calendar days and the vehicle will need to be returned on the 30th day. Priority will be given to those operators/drivers that have not participated in the scheme previously, however if the vehicle has not be prebooked then the agreement can be extended for a further rolling 30 day period.
Can Denbighshire take the vehicle back early?
Yes, Telematics will be fitted to the vehicle as well as Denbighshire County Council Driver Care transfers and dashcams. Periodic monitoring of the telematics system will be undertaken and customer feedback will be monitored. Denbighshire County Council shall reserve the right to retrieve the vehicle without notice should the Authorities reputation be at risk (i.e below par driving standards).