An independent company carries out a physical scan of the road network every year, to assess the condition of the roads.
In 2013-14 they found that:
- The condition of Class A roads (main roads) had improved. The percentage of Class A roads in poor condition had reduced from 5.6% to 3.7%.
- The condition of Class B roads (medium roads) had improved. The percentage of Class B roads in poor condition had reduced from 9.3% to 8.8%.
- The condition of Class C roads (smaller roads) had deteriorated. The percentage of Class C roads in poor condition had increased from 13.9% to 14.5%.
What our residents think
The findings of the most recent residents' survey supports this. Results from the 2013 residents' survey show that:
- 65% of residents are satisfied with the maintenance of main roads. This compares to 60% in 2011.
- 62% of residents are satisfied with the maintenance of streets in towns and villages. The satisfaction rate in 2011 was 61%.
- 49% of residents are satisfied with the maintenance of rural roads. This is lower than for other types of road. We don't know if this is an improvement or not, because this question was not asked in previous residents' surveys.