Private tenants (housing benefits)

If you are renting a property or room from a private landlord and you are on a low income, you may be entitled to help with your rent through Local Housing Allowance (LHA). Usually you will have your Local Housing Allowance paid directly to you and it is up to you to pay the rent to your landlord. 

You may be entitled to help with your rent through Universal Credit. If you are not eligible for Universal Credit, you may be entitled to housing benefits.  

Check if you are eligible for Universal Credit (external website)

The level of Housing Costs within Universal Credit uses the same rates as LHA.

If you are entitled to claim Universal Credit, you will still need to claim Council Tax Reduction and Free School meals.

How is it worked out?

LHA is based on the number of bedrooms people are allowed, not how much the rent is. The number of rooms allowed depends on who lives with the tenant. 

Local Housing Allowance rent levels in Denbighshire
Number of roomsAmount per week for post codes LL16, LL17, LL18, LL19, LL22, CH7 and CH8Amount per week for post codes: LL11, LL12, LL15, LL20 and LL21
Shared room rate (under 35 years old)  £78.80  £90.05
1 bedroom  £90.90  £109.32
2 bedrooms  £126.58  £120.82
3 bedrooms  £149.59  £138.08
4 bedrooms  £196.77


You are allowed one bedroom for:

  • every single adult or adult couple (married or unmarried)
  • any other adult aged 16 or over 
  • any two children under age 10 
  • any two children of the same sex aged under 16. 
  • any other child

You can find out what you would be entitled to by using the GOV.UK bedroom calculator (external website) or our benefits calculator

If you have made a claim, you can log in to your account or register your details to check your entitlement online.

Log in or register to view your housing benefit entitlement

How to apply

Make sure you apply as soon as possible so that you get your full entitlement. You will need to complete a claim form, which you can do online.

Complete a claim form on-line

The claim form can also be used to claim council tax reduction and free school meals.

Change of circumstances

If there is a change in your household circumstances, let us know immediately as it will probably affect your claim. If you don’t update us in time, you could miss out or have to pay money back.

If you have moved address, you can report a change of address online.

Additional evidence

We cannot pay your benefit until we have seen original documents of the following;

  • National Insurance numbers for you and your partner.
  • Two documents of identity (per person)
  • Capital, savings and investments.
  • Earnings.
  • Any other income.
  • Any benefits, allowances or pensions.
  • Your tenancy.

These can be taken to Russell House, our libraries, and One Stop Shops. 


By ‘partner’ we mean a person you are married to, live with as if you are married to them, a civil partner or a person you live with as if you are civil partners. 

What can I do if I disagree with a housing benefits decision?

If you are not satisfied with a decision about your entitlement to benefits, visit our appeals page to see what you can do and if help is available.