Marriages and civil partnerships: Giving notice

If you want to get married or form a civil partnership in Wales or England, you must both give notice at the Register Office in the area where you have lived for the eight days before giving notice, regardless of where you intend to marry.

A Superintendent Registrar and Registrar, or an authorised person, needs to be present at all marriages/civil partnerships, except those at a church belonging to the Church in Wales or of England. It’s important that you make sure the Registrars are available before you set any other arrangements. 

Where to give notice

If  you live in Denbighshire, you will need to contact one of the Register Offices. 

Contact Rhyl Register Office or Ruthin Registration Office 

About the notice of marriage

The notice of marriage or civil partnership is a legal statement which you must sign. If you plan to be married in the Church in Wales or of England, you should see your local vicar who will arrange for the Banns of Marriage to be published.

A notice states the names, age, marital status, address, occupation and nationality of the people intending to marry or form a civil partnership. It also states the intended venue for the ceremony.

Notices are displayed on the public notice boards of the Register Office for 28 days after which the ‘authorities for marriage’ or ‘civil partnership schedule’ can be issued. You can collect these from the register office and send them to whoever is officiating in advance of the ceremony or they can be sent for you. Your marriage cannot take place without the authorities for marriage or civil partnership schedule.

A notice of marriage or civil partnership is valid for 12 months but is only valid for the venue stated on it, and if you change your mind a new notice has to be given and paid for. 

How much does a notice cost?

A notice costs £42 each, which you pay to the Superintendent Registrar at the time of giving notice. 


You will need to provide proof of your name, age, address and nationality. You can bring original documents such as:

  • Current passport
  • Birth certificate 
  • If you were born after the 1st of January 1983 you will need to provide evidence of your parent’s nationality.
  • Current driving licence
  • Utility bills (dated within the last 3 months)
  • Bank statements (dated within the last month)

If you have previously been married or formed a civil partnership, you will need to provide evidence that that the marriage/civil partnership has ended e.g. the Decree Absolute of Divorce/ Civil Partnership Dissolution or death certificate of late husband/wife/civil partner.

Photocopies or faxes of the above are not acceptable. You can contact us if you would like more information on giving notice.