Support for the armed forces

If you or a member of your family is currently serving, or has served, in the armed forces, we can help you to get the support and advice you may need.

Along with some other community organisations, we have formally signed a community covenant with the armed services, veterans and their families. This is an agreement that sets out how we and our partner organisations can support the armed forces community working and living in Denbighshire.

The Covenant has been encouraging support for the Armed Forces Community working and residing in Denbighshire and the report below highlights the activities of the Armed Forces Community Covenant Partnership since the Community Covenant was signed in July 2013.

Denbighshire Armed Forces Community Covenant Partnership Report (PDF, 542KB)

Click on the headings below for information on how we can help:


Welsh Government

The Welsh Government package of support for the armed forces community sets out Welsh Government's plans and policies, and provides information on public services for the armed forces community.

Welsh Government: Armed forces and veterans (external website)

Denbighshire Voluntary Services Council (DVSC)

DVSC supports the voluntary sector and volunteers in Denbighshire, and can help with:

  • providing low cost training for volunteers and employees
  • funding advice and information
  • recruitment and placement of volunteers
  • advice and information to help you run or establish a new voluntary or community group
  • supporting volunteers to help them get more involved in their communities
  • social enterprise and business development

For more information, visit the DVSC website (external website) or email the DVSC at

Grants for community organisations

Under the Community Covenant Grant Scheme, there are grants available for community organisations in Denbighshire.

How to apply for a Covenant Fund grant (GOV.UK) (external website)

Education and training

You can study a wide range of courses at colleges and community venues across Denbighshire.

You can learn new skills to get ahead at work or change career, or you can learn for fun.

Staff in our education department can give you specialist advice on the educational needs of armed forces families. They can help you with finding a school and applying for a school place, and give you advice on any grants or funding you may be entitled to.

You can get more information in the education section or by contacting us.

Adult and extra education


There are several organisations that can help you into employment.

Careers Wales

Careers Wales can provide information on jobs, training and education to help you to plan your career.

Careers Wales website (external website).

Jobcentre Plus

Jobcentre Plus can give you advice on benefits and ways of getting into work, including training, work experience, volunteering, job trialling and starting your own business. You can also get information here on how to combine work with other responsibilities like caring or looking after children, and help to find work if you have a disability.

GOV.UK: Jobcentre Plus (external website).

GOV.UK: Finding a job (external website).

North Wales Police

Find out about employment opportunities with North Wales Police in the recruitment section of their website (external website).

157 (Welsh) Regiment Royal Logistic Corps, 398 (Flintshire & Denbighshire Yeomanry) Transport Squadron

Harry Weale VC Army Reserve Centre,
Station Rd,

Phone: 01244 816873 I 94555 8205 / AO 8202 Fax 01244 816874.


Health and wellbeing

NHS Wales

Denbighshire is covered by Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board, which provides primary, community, mental health and acute hospital services.

You can get more information about how the NHS may be able to help you on the NHS Wales website (external website).


Mind is a mental health charity that provides advice and support for anyone with a mental health problem.

Find out more on the Vale of Clwyd Mind website (external website).

Combat Stress

Combat Stress is a veterans' mental health charity, that works with veterans of the British armed forces and members of the reserve forces to provide effective treatment and support for mental health problems, including depression, phobias, anxiety, post traumatic stress disorder and more.

Find out more on the Combat Stress website (external website).

You can also get information and advice in the health and social care section of our website.


You can get advice and support for your housing needs, including council housing, housing associations, home adaptations and help with mortgage debt or rent arrears, in the housing section of our website.


Serving members of the Armed Forces and the Territorial Army are entitled to a discount on using leisure centres in Denbighshire.

For a discounted set fee, you can use fitness suites and pay on a month by month non-committal contract. You will need to provide a payslip, a forces ID card or written proof of employment to claim your discount.

Find out more about leisure facilities on the Denbighshire Leisure website (external website).

Armed Forces Free Swimming Scheme

If you have a Defence Privilege Card or you are serving personnel on leave with an MOD90 Armed Forces Card, you can use our swimming pools during public swim times for free. There are swimming pools at the following leisure centres:

  • Corwen leisure centre
  • Denbigh leisure centre
  • Prestatyn Nova
  • Rhyl leisure centre
  • Ruthin leisure centre

Defence Privilege Card

You can apply for the Defence Privilege Card, which will give you discounts online and on the high street. The card is available to serving members of the armed forces, their families, and veterans.

Find out more about how to get a Defence Discount Card (external website).

General advice and support

Citizen's Advice

Citizen's Advice provides free, independent, confidential and impartial advice to everyone on their rights and responsibilities. They value diversity, promote equality and challenge discrimination. The Citizen Advice self-help website has practical, reliable information to help you solve your problems.

Citizen's Advice website (external website)

The British Legion

The British Legion provides care, advice and support to serving members of the armed forces, veterans of all ages and their families.

Find out more on the British Legion website (external website).


SSAFA provides lifelong support for forces and their families. They provide practical, emotional and financial support to anyone who is serving or has ever served and their families.

Get more information on the SSAFA website (external website).

Change Step and Listen In

Change Step is a peer mentoring and advice service for military veterans who want to make positive changes to their lives. Delivered by veterans for veterans, Change Step supports people seeking help for problems encountered as a result of military or operational duty - and offers training opportunities and signposting to relevant health and welfare services.

Listen in provides emotional and practical help for veterans' families and loved ones, giving essential support to those coping with very difficult circumstances.

Contact us for more information:

Change Step
Imperial Building
Princes Drive
Colwyn Bay
LL29 8LA

Phone: 0300 777 2259


Website: Change Step Wales (external website)

Facebook: Change Step Wales on Facebook (external website)

Twitter: Change Step Wales on Twitter (external website)

Veterans badges and medals

Veterans badge

You can get an armed forces veterans badge if you’ve served in any of the UK armed forces - there's no fee.


You can apply for a medal if you served in the armed forces and are eligible.

GOV.UK: Apply for a veterans badge or a medal (external website).

Replacing a badge or medal

Replacing a veterans badge is usually free. There is sometimes a fee to get a replacement medal - it depends how it was lost.

GOV.UK: Replace a badge or medal (external website).

UK merchant seafarers veterans badge

You can apply for a UK merchant seafarers veterans badge if you were a Merchant Navy seafarer or fisherman or served in a vessel used to support the UK Armed Forces.

Apply for a UK merchant seafarers veterans badge (external website).

Working Denbighshire

If you or someone you know is in, or at risk of poverty and would like help to get into or progress at work, we can help by providing support and guidance.

Related documents

Armed Forces Covenant Employer Recognition Scheme 2019 Bronze Award (PDF, 197KB)