Carer’s needs assessment

If you are a carer for someone, you can get a carer's needs assessment to see what support or services you may need to help you with your caring role.

A carers needs assessment will assess:

  • your caring role and how it affects your life and well-being
  • your health – physical, mental and emotional issues
  • your feelings and choices about caring
  • work, study, training, leisure
  • relationships, social activities and your goals
  • housing
  • planning for emergencies.

Who can have a carer’s needs assessment?

Any carer who provides unpaid care for someone with health or social care needs can have an assessment.

How to get a carer’s needs assessment?

Adult carers

If you are an adult carer (a carer who is over the age of 18), you can contact Single Point of Access (SPoA) to arrange a carers needs assessment.

You can contact SPoA by:

  • Phoning 0300 4561000 between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday, and between 10am and 4pm at weekends and Bank Holidays (except Christmas Day and Easter Sunday). If you need to speak to a duty social worker in an emergency outside of these hours, you can phone 0345 053 3116 (calls to this number cost you 2 pence per minute plus your phone company’s access charge)
  • Contacting SPoA online

Young carers

Young carers (carers under the age of 18) can get a carers needs assessment by;