Financial support and advice for carers

There is financial support available to people who provide care for others, as well as help to continue working while providing care. 

Advice for carers who are working

Some carers find they have to give up work or reduce their working hours in order to manage the care they want to give to their family member or friend.

Let your employer know that you are a carer and see if you can discuss how they might help you adjust to both working and caring. You should consider;

  • Your rights at work – the law gives everybody certain statutory rights, such as;
    • The right to requests flexible working
    • The right to time off in an emergency
    • Protection from discrimination
    • The right to parental leave for a child age under 18.
  • You may also have contractual rights that are specific to your job role

Disability-related expenses

If you care for someone with a disability or a medical condition, you may be entitled to disability-related expenses.

Find out more about disability-related expenses (external website)

Benefits for carers 

There are benefits available to carers and the people they care for. 

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance helps with extra costs if someone has a disability severe enough that they need someone to help look after them.

Find out more about Attendance Allowance (external website)

Carer's Allowance

You may be entitled to Carer's Allowance if you care for someone for at least 35 hours a week and they get certain benefits.

Find out more about Carer’s Allowance (external website)

Carer's Credit

You could get Carer’s Credit if you’re caring for someone for at least 20 hours a week.

Find out more about Carer's Credit (external website)

Pension Credit

Pension Credit provides extra money to help with living costs for people over State Pension age and on a low income. Pension Credit can also help with housing costs such as ground rent or service charges.

Find out more about Pension Credit (external website)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) can help with extra living costs if someone has both:

  • a long-term physical or mental health condition or disability

  • difficulty doing certain everyday tasks or getting around because of your condition

Find out more about Personal Independence Payment (PIP) (external website)

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a benefit designed to support people of working age who are on a low income or out of work.

Find out more about Universal Credit

Become an appointee for someone claiming benefits

You can apply for the right to deal with the benefits of someone who cannot manage their own affairs because they’re mentally incapable or severely disabled.

Get more information on becoming an appointee for someone claiming benefits (external website)

More information

You can get more information about the benefits available for carers from: