Short term residential care for the cared-for person

There are options for short term stays in local Residential Homes or Extra Care Housing schemes. It may be possible to have a stay of just a couple of weeks, or possibly something longer. Arrangements vary depending on the organisation’s policy.

With Extra Care Housing you have your own apartment, but additional support is available.

With Residential Homes you have a bedroom, but other facilities are shared with other residents.

How to arrange this service

Private arrangements can be made with some Residential Homes (external website) and Extra Care Housing schemes, but costs can be quite high.  Assistance may be available from Social Services if eligibility is confirmed through a ‘What Matters’ conversation and assessment.

Please contact SPOA or NEWCIS to enquire further.

You can contact SPoA by:

  • Phoning 0300 4561000 between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday, and between 10am and 4pm at weekends and Bank Holidays (except Christmas Day and Easter Sunday). If you need to speak to a duty social worker in an emergency outside of these hours, you can phone 0345 053 3116 (calls to this number cost you 2 pence per minute plus your phone company’s access charge)
  • Contacting SPoA online