Standards for private housing

If you rent your house from a private landlord in Denbighshire, our role is to make sure that the house is of a decent standard; that it is fit, safe and comfortable.

What standards can I expect?

Landlords have a duty to maintain their properties by carrying out necessary repairs, and tenants also have a responsibility to keep the properties in a good state of repair. The standards you can expect, and your responsibilities as a tenant, will be set out in your tenancy agreement. This is a general guide to what you can expect.

As a general rule the landlord will be responsible for the structure and the exterior of the property and for maintaining essential services such as water, gas and electricity supplies, and for drainage. The tenant is normally only responsible for decorating the property internally, or maintaining any gardens but this will depend upon the agreement you have made with your landlord.

What if my house doesn't meet these standards?

If you feel that your home is not being properly maintained, you should discuss your concerns with your landlord in the first instance, and give them a reasonable amount of time to get any work done. If your landlord fails to carry out any work, you can contact us to discuss your concerns and we will investigate.

Contact us: Housing

The way we will try to resolve the problem depends on how severe the problem is, and can range from speaking to your landlord informally, to serving a notice on them, which gives them a fixed period of time to carry out repair work. You will be allocated a case officer who will keep you informed on what is being done to resolve your problem.