Help with mortgage debt or rent arrears

If you are worried about paying your mortgage or keeping up with your rent payments there are many ways you can get help and support. The most important thing is to ask for help as soon as you get into difficulty.

What help is available?

Mortgage rescue schemes

This is where a housing association buys your home from you, and you continue to live there as a tenant, by paying rent to the housing association. Both Wales and West Housing Association (external website) and Grŵp Cynefin (external website) run mortgage rescue schemes.

Rent Arrears

These are “priority debts” and the consequences of not dealing with them could end up in you losing your home. 

Citizen’s Advice Bureau Wales

The Citizen’s Advice Bureau (external website) offer free and impartial advice on how to deal with mortgage debt.