Information for tenants

Since November 23, 2016, all landlords with rental properties in Wales must be registered, and agents and self-managing landlords must have a licence to let and manage work at rental properties in Wales.

If you are a tenant and want to check if your landlord and / or agent is complying, you can view the Rent Smart Wales online public register (external website).

Your tenancy agreement should set out your responsibilities as a tenant, and your landlord’s responsibilities. Some conditions will vary from one property to the next, but this is a general guide to your rights and obligations as a tenant.

Damp and mould

Damp and mould growth are caused by excess moisture, which can be worse in cold weather due to a lack of heating and ventilation. To reduce damp and mould growth in your home, you can:

  • maintain low level background heating and avoid heating just one room
  • always ensure that fitted extractor fans are in use and windows are open when bathing/showering and cooking.
  • improve ventilation by opening windows for a short period every morning to let out the moisture which has built up overnight
  • remove condensation and moisture from windows and surfaces as soon as it appears
  • try to avoid drying clothes on radiators or heaters
  • keep a small gap between large pieces of furniture and the walls to allow air to circulate

Get more information about damp and mould from the Rent Smart Wales resource library (external website)

Your rights

  • to be aware of the full terms of the tenancy agreement 
  • to know the name and address of the landlord 
  • to live in a property that is in adequate condition to be rented 
  • to receive reasonably prompt repairs and maintenance to damaged items 
  • to live in safe accommodation, with all equipment, gas and electrical systems meeting the required safety standards 
  • to have a Corgi-registered gas inspection certificate produced annually, and at the start of each tenancy 
  • to have quiet enjoyment of the property, without the landlord asking for entry without notice, and with no interference with utilities or other supplies to the property 
  • to have a rent book, if the rent is payable on a weekly basis 
  • a reasonable period of notice if the landlord wants the tenancy agreement to end (this is compulsory) 
  • to have the security deposit returned within 30 days, subject to the necessary checks and up-to-date rent payments

Your responsibilities

  • to pay the agreed rent in full and on time 
  • to make sure no damage is caused to the property or its contents, either by you, members of the household or visitors 
  • to consult your landlord and ask for written permission to make any alterations to the property 
  • to report any damage or need for repairs to the landlord 
  • not to cause disturbance, nuisance or annoyance to the neighbours 
  • to let the landlord enter the property to carry out repairs or an inspection, as long as they have given you reasonable notice 
  • to get written permission from the landlord if you want to sub-let or take in a lodger 
  • to give the landlord the agreed amount of notice if you want to end your tenancy agreement and move out 
  • not to leave the property empty for longer than 14 days without informing the landlord or letting agent

Shared accommodation

If you live in a certain type of shared accommodation, your landlord may need to hold a licence. This type of shared accommodation is known as a house in multiple occupation (HMO).

You are likely to be living in an HMO if you share facilities such as a bathroom or kitchen with people who are not members of your family. Your landlord will need a licence if you live in an HMO which is three or more storeys high, you share it with two or more other people, as two or more households, and you are not all members of the same family.

If you are living in a property which is licensed, this means that the property has to meet certain standards and the landlord has to abide by certain conditions. Before we grant a licence, we will consider whether or not the landlord is fit to manage the property, and we will also say how many people are allowed to live in the building. We can prosecute landlords who let properties without the necessary licence or who break the conditions of their licence.

Help to pay your rent

If you are on a low income, you may be eligible to claim Housing Benefit to help with the cost of your rent.