Flexible working

We know that work performance is better if employees are able to have flexibility in their working arrangements, enabling them to better meet business needs and to improve efficiency and effectiveness. It can also help with balancing work and life demands.

Denbighshire has identified a number of work styles:

  • Desk based: for those predominantly based in the office and working from one desk;
  • Mobile/flexible: for those who spend some of their time working away from an office base;
  • Collaborative: a flexible or desk based worker who needs to be able to work from the base of another organisation; and
  • Home based: for those more likely to be based from home.

Work styles describe the ways in which employees are supported by facilities provided by the council: office space, technology and management practice.

For those who do not fit into the above categories, their circumstances will be considered on an individual basis. Please refer to the Flexible Working Policy for further details.

Your work pattern must be agreed with your line manager. You have the responsibility to discuss your normal attendance with your line manager. You also have a responsibility to consult with your colleagues and line manager to ensure there are adequate staffing levels.

Actual working arrangements should consider the needs of the service and the line manager will be responsible for ensuring that there is adequate cover at all times. Some employees will therefore be asked to be in the office at certain times which may reduce their flexibility.

If you have access to flexi time, there are no set times that you should attend work, providing you work a minimum of 4 ½ hours on each normal day, pro rata for part time employees. You can work in accordance with the opening hours of your place of work. No special arrangements will be made to open or close the building in order to allow employees to work longer.

Flexible Working and Guidance for Managers and Employees Policy (PDF, 600KB)