Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Driver licence application pack
This page will take you through the application process and pre-requisites (knowledge test, Disclosure and Barring Service check i.e. Police check, medical) for a taxi driver licence application. It is recommended that you firstly read all of the guidance as they will take you through the application process in a logical order
Please refer to the following
- Application form
- Guidance on How to Complete your Application Form
- Right to Work guidance notes
- Statement of policy regarding the suitability of applicants and licensees in the hackney carriage and private hire trades
- Medical Certificate
- Table of current fees
- Knowledge test guidance notes
- Denbighshire Licensing privacy notice inc NR3 policy
How to apply
Firstly you will need to:
Please refer to relevant guidance notes when completing all forms
Once you have applied for your DBS and DVLA checks via the above link, you will need to gather the following information/documents to submit to licensing:
- Application form
- Medical certificate – this may follow at a later date (but before determination of licence)
- Right to work identification – please see note 3
- DVLA photo card licence
- Current fee – please contact Licensing to discuss payment on 01824 706342
- 1 passport size photograph
Please ensure all of these documents are fully completed correctly before your appointment to save time. Failure to send some documents to Licensing will result in a delay in your application process.
The Licensing Authority will undertake immigration checks in accordance with the Immigration Act 2016. All applicants will need to provide, in person at the Denbigh Office, either a Passport or UK Full Birth Certificate (a national insurance document is also required where a UK Full Birth Certificate is provided) to enable the Licensing Authority to confirm eligibility to work within the UK.
Applicants that do not have either a Passport or UK Birth Certificate should refer to the list of acceptable documents. You may bring your ID with you when you attend your Knowledge Test appointment (see below).
The Licensing Authority will undertake a check on the applicant’s immigration status with the Home Office. Checks revealing that an applicant has permanent lawful permission to reside and work in the UK will not require any further checks with the Home Office.
Checks revealing that an applicant has limited lawful permission to reside or work in the UK may be issued with a shorter duration licence.
The Licensing Authority will not issue a licence to any applicant who does not have lawful permission to reside or work in the UK; this is in accordance with the Immigration Act 2016
How to prove your immigration status: View and prove your immigration status: get a share code (external website)
How to apply for a share code: Check a job applicant's right to work: use their share code (external website)
Once you have submitted your application and it has all been accepted, you will be provided with an electronic or paper copy of the Council’s current Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy and conditions. This is a key document for all drivers and forms a significant part of the knowledge test.
You may now arrange to sit your on-line knowledge test, which is undertaken at the Council Offices in Denbigh. Please ring 01824 706342 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a place on the next available session. If you need any additional assistance in order to take the test please ring the above number and speak to a member of the licensing team in confidence. Please remember to bring your right to work documentation with you at this appointment.
If you fail your knowledge test, you may re-take it at the next available session at no extra charge. Should you fail your second test then any subsequent test will be charged at the appropriate fee.
What happens to my application once I have completed all of the above?
In order for your application to be determined, Officers will need to:
- Receive a response to your DBS application from TaxiPlus
- Receive a response to your DVLA application from TaxiPlus
- Complete the necessary internal checks – i.e. Social Services. This is corporate requirement so that the council meets its safeguarding responsibilities
- Complete a National Fraud Initiative check. This mandatory search of a national database enables us to validate and authenticate applicants and helps reduce the number of fraudulent or mistaken claims made
- Complete the National Register for Taxi Drivers (NR3). This national register retains information on taxi drivers that have had an application to drive refused or revoked
- Receive your medical certificate (if not submitted on application).
If we receive all satisfactory checks, we will endeavour to grant your licence within 5 working days. We will normally post your licence and badge but if you wish to collect it in person, please let us know.
In the event of a check coming back that requires further investigation, you will be notified without delay of the next step. Please ensure that you have provided all your correct contact details including your email address as this sometimes is the quickest form of communication.
Information is provided to enable us to:
- Process and decide on licence/permit applications
- Process notices
- Provide public register information
- Investigate complaints
- Conduct regulatory enforcement activity, including with partner agencies
Some processes are completed online by the applicants. Those processes will include details of how your data will be used.
01824 706342 / email@example.com
- Monday to Thursday: 9am until 5pm
- Friday: 9am until 4:30pm.