Provisional statements

A provisional statement is used for premises which are intended to become licensed, but have not yet been built or converted. This gives you an idea whether or not the proposed business is viable before investing significant amounts of money.

You will need a provisional statement if you intend to host licensable activities at your premises, including: 

  • selling alcohol by retail 
  • selling hot food and drink between 11pm and 5am 
  • providing regulated entertainment, including: 
    • performance of a play 
    • exhibition of a film 
    • indoor sporting event 
    • boxing or wrestling entertainment 
    • playing of recorded music 
    • performance of dance 
    • performance of live music, in some cases. Find out if you need a licence (external website).

If a provisional statement is granted, you will still need to apply for a premises licence when the building or conversion works are complete.

How do I apply for a provisional statement?

You can apply for a provisional statement online.

Apply for a provisional statement online (external website)

When you apply, you will also need to provide a plan of the works.

How much does it cost?

There is a fee of £315 to apply for a provisional statement.