Road closure applications

If you want to temporarily close a road, you must apply to the council.

As well as closing the roads for road works, we can temporarily close the road for events such as public processions, specialist street markets, or acts of worship, or other periods when the streets are likely to be crowded.

How do I apply?

To request a temporary road closure, you must fill in a road closure application form and send it to the address on the form.

We try our best to keep the roads open at all times, and we look at each application individually. Submitting an application does not guarantee that we will close the road for your event.

If your road closure application is approved, you can make a payment by phoning our Customer Contact Centre on 01824 706000.

How much does it cost?

The cost of a short term order is £751.30, emergency/urgent closures are £924.00, all other orders are £2,137.30, all are inclusive of bilingual advertising.

These charges are not subject to VAT. All unauthorised closures will be charged at an additional cost of £1,155 per day.

We do not charge to close the road for events run by registered charities, or for carnivals or parades.